Chain Removal Mong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I finally got up the courage to use some of the tools in the bike tool kit I bought over a year ago. Namely the chain removal tool. Was amazed at how easy it was to remove a link and fit a powerlink for cleaning purposes.

Of course it was easy, especially if you practise. Which I did by removing a wrong inner link in the first place (and I had even thought about it carefully beforehand!) and so had to then remove two outer links to resolve it. :smile:

Result, a chain two links shorter than normal! Hasn't affected the drive although the hanger is angled forward about 45 degrees when in the lowest gear. Arse! Still, when I get around to buying a replacement chain, I will know better next time. Strangely, the wife was reluctant to let me put a power link in the chain on her brand new bike.

Next step, cocking up the sprockets with the chain whip tool! :sad:

02GF74

Über Member
not sure why you bothered. it wuold have made sense to fit powerlink if you were replacing chain but for cleaning?!?!?!

if you really insist on cleaning a chain, you can do that just as well with the chain on the bike: paraffin applied and then scrub with a tooth brush but all that does is to remove the grease from between the links - you can feel the grittiness.

lubing after is a must but there is no guarantee the lube gets in between the links and pins - in the olden days motorcyclists would boil the chain in a tub of grease to overcome that.

I used to clean chains as already described but cannot say it makes much difference - now I just apply wax based lube and wipe off the excess - less mess, quicker and better all round.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

i did it cos i'm not an anal fettling bike geek who wants to spend ages scrubbing a chain clean. xx(

i want to just remove it, chuck it in some white spirit to clean the gunk off, then put back on and relube!

Alf

Guru
Quite agree with the sentiments but if you just hold an old towel tightly round the chain while you back pedal with your free hand for 30 seconds or so (then repeat with a clean bit of towel if you are keen or the chain is pretty mucky) then re-lube, it only takes a minute - almost literally. So quick I even do it when I come back cold and wet before I go and get changed

Alf

beancounter

Alf said:
Quite agree with the sentiments but if you just hold an old towel tightly round the chain while you back pedal with your free hand for 30 seconds or so (then repeat with a clean bit of towel if you are keen or the chain is pretty mucky) then re-lube, it only takes a minute - almost literally. So quick I even do it when I come back cold and wet before I go and get changed

Alf

How does this method remove dirt trapped between the side plates?

bc

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

exactly, which is why the removalwhite spirit works for me every couple of weeks.

i am NOT going to clean my chain after every ride, ffs, i have a life to live as well! :smile:

Garz

Squat Member
LoL calm down chain freaks! Like on other threads you get an idea that some people have their way and think its the only way and others are morons if they don't conform. One bloke uses motor oil, I use a girly plastic chain cleaner but there's more than one way to skin a cat, as long as your happy!

Alf

Guru
trustysteed said:
exactly, which is why the removalwhite spirit works for me every couple of weeks.

i am NOT going to clean my chain after every ride, ffs, i have a life to live as well! :smile:
It is because I don't want to spend my life cleaning my chain that I don't bother with either on-bike chain cleaner or chain removal and soaking in solvent. A a couple of minutes every week and after any wet ride is very time efficient and it makes sure you give some tlc when it most matters - after a wet ride. OK it may leave some stuff between the side plates but I am less worried by that because there is much less metal to metal wear. If the chain is really mucky, the method of putting some GT85 on the rag first is probably a good way of getting the more persistent stuff off.

Alf

beancounter

Alf said:
IOK it may leave some stuff between the side plates but I am less worried by that because there is much less metal to metal wear.

Ok, so as long as the outside of your chain is clean, you're happy.

I like to clean the inside too, so that dirt doesn't get on to the sprockets and chainrings. For me, this is why the "wipe it and lube it" method doesn't work.

bc

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:

i am NOT going to clean my chain after every ride, ffs, i have a life to live as well! ;)

...yet you still find time to remove, clean and refit your chain once a fortnight. Blimey.

I'm just baffled by why anyone would want to fit a power link, if they've got the hang of a chain tool. Why not just use the chain tool?

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

because removing the chain and placing in white spirit = 1 min
soaking it in white spirit = 0 mins as it's sitting there while i am doing other things
taking it out, hanging it up to dry= 1 min
putting back on the bike and lubing it = 2 mins

so 4 mins every couple of weeks (probably nearer once a month really) is a lot less faff than cleaning it every ride.

re the chain tool, once you've broken a link, you can't repair it can you?

02GF74

Über Member
beancounter said:
How does this method remove dirt trapped between the side plates?

bc

who cares, that dirt does not affect chain or sprokect wear. it is the pins and the roller that gets the wear to enlongate.

spraying lube which hopefully finds its way in there is all that needs doing. even the lube will get pushed out to some extent.

washing the chain removes that lube and allows drit to get in, add in some lube after wards and you have a nice grinding paste.

what we want is a direct comparison on chain wear resulting form different cleaning methods.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

btw, my OP was done to hopefully allow you lot to have a bit of a laugh about my stupidity re the initial chain removal. i'm sure most of us have done something similar in relation to bike fettling at one time or another. :tongue:

it was not to start a discussion about the best method of chain cleaning as we all have our own methods we're happy with. so perhaps it's time to close this thread! :laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Um, perhaps not quite yet...

When you use a chain link remover, the trick is to push the stick bit (aka 'pin') almost all the way...but not quite. Ie, far enough so that the end of the pin stays stuck in the outside of the plate but no further. That gives you enough slack to separate the chain (generally with a little bit of a wiggle), but leaves the pin in place. Then when you want to put the chain back, just use the tool from the other side of the chain to push the pin back to where it started.

Top Bottom