Chain repair went well.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sackville d

Veteran
Some background info first. About a month ago I had a slightly embarrassing slow mo tummble which bent my mech hanger.I know it bent the hanger because later on the once perfectly aligned deraileur threw the chain off the big sprocket at the back and the chain became super jammed between the back of the cassette and the spockes of my BRAND NEW RS80 C24s.......Damn n blast it!

Eventually got the chain free and limped home somewhat crest fallen.Note was made to self"Must buy new hanger"

Hanger was purchased and fitted yesterday and so I went for a ride today.
Everything was fine apart from an intermitant tick n click from the back.I tried to tune things by the road side but decided a closer inspection at home was the best course of action so pressed on.

I went up Rochdale Road from Ripponden and stopped at the layby at the top for nibbles and drinks and thats when it happened.The KMC Missing Link (which had been damaged 4 weeks ago...unbeknownst to me) decided it didn`t want to cooperate any more and the two parts went their own ways,neatly dumping my chain on the road

"Well I never" I exclaimed,on top of a big hill 8 miles from home,"I`d better try and fix that"
So little tool in hand I set to
index.jpg
.Within 5 minutes the damaged parts were removed and a nice free moving link was established.The bike was now running better and quieter than it had all dayThat was pretty satisfiying but the best part was that within no time I had two people stop and offer help,chain tools and Missing Links.Thanks chaps,your generosity was most heartening:thumbsup:
And no,they didn`t stand by giving a critique of my roadside repair skills.Shame really,the skills were up to the job:thanks:. index.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done! I have fixed chains for 3 or 4 cyclists who were stranded with broken chains.

Now for the bad news ... my rear Mavic Aksium had the same experience and suffered a broken spoke a few hundred miles later where the chain had nicked it. It was on a long forum ride and the wheel went way out of true. I ended up getting the train back from Blackpool rather than risking trying to ride home on the dodgy wheel.

It might be possible to get away with 31/32 of a wheel's spokes, but I didn't like the look of my wheel with only 23/24 of its spokes!

OP
OP
sackville d

sackville d

Veteran
Well done! I have fixed chains for 3 or 4 cyclists who were stranded with broken chains.

Now for the bad news ... my rear Mavic Aksium had the same experience and suffered a broken spoke a few hundred miles later where the chain had nicked it. It was on a long forum ride and the wheel went way out of true. I ended up getting the train back from Blackpool rather than risking trying to ride home on the dodgy wheel.

It might be possible to get away with 31/32 of a wheel's spokes, but I didn't like the look of my wheel with only 23/24 of its spokes!
Good point Colin.It might be worth removing the cassette and having a look back there.They are remarkably thin spokes and if one failed it wouldn`t be 23/24 but 19/20.
It just goes to show the unforeseen consequences of a simple slow mo tummble hey:sad:

Of course if I`d been on the Basso non of this would ever have happened;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom