chain repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alci4

has anyone tried these?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_158435_langId_-1_categoryId_230505#

my voodoo had a really stiff link last week that i couldnt loosen so took it down halfords and they put one of these on

down sandwell valley yesterday and chain broke and fell off, the one side of the link had fallen off and the other side had come out

is this an unfortunate one off or are they generally crap?

just wondering as i dont wanna take it back just for them to put another on and i'll always be worying it's gonna give out on me

cheers 4 any info

adscrim

Veteran
I have no experience of that brand but I use 'chain connectors' on all my bikes (KMC missing links) and have never had any problems. Not wishing to cast any aspertions on the Halfords staff, but were they fitted correctly? I find it unlikely that they would fall off unless they had not been pulled into the 'locked' position correctly.

Edit

Just had a closer look at the image on the website. I suggest these are pretty poor example of replacement links. one whole side of the link is a sliding plate where as better brands have both sides sliding so that they work against each other. Also, the area where the pin slide into looks too similar to the area where the pins are fed in - I don't think it would offer much resistance to the plate sliding and the link failing.

I suggest you go shopping for some KMC or SRAM alternatives - I think the KMC 9 speed links are priced at a simialr level as these.

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

it took 3 members of staff to do it

one said he needed pliers as he couldnt get it on, went to look for them then another came over and couldnt do it then the third one did it so who knows?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The 2 reviews on the Halfords site are both 5 stars so (unless they fiddle reviews which I can't see why would) they are happy with them. Do you have an alternative branch you can go back to?

alci4 said:
it took 3 members of staff to do it

one said he needed pliers as he couldnt get it on, went to look for them then another came over and couldnt do it then the third one did it so who knows?

Ah...

Might not be the quality of the link then, might be more the monkeys bending and damaging them.

Although....since the link is the thing that stops your chain snapping (it's not nice when a chain snaps when pulling across a junction stood on the pedals!) I'd be tempted to go for something a little better.

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

Sheffield_Tiger said:
Ah...

Might not be the quality of the link then, might be more the monkeys bending and damaging them.

Although....since the link is the thing that stops your chain snapping (it's not nice when a chain snaps when pulling across a junction stood on the pedals!) I'd be tempted to go for something a little better.

do you think i would be better using one of these

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_250126_langId_-1_categoryId_230505

and maybe keeping one of those other links in my pack in case of emergency?

alci4 said:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_250126_langId_-1_categoryId_230505

My preferred option, though I have for the first time ever got a quick link on my bike (SRAM) and it seems fine. Advntage of course with a link like that, you can take the chain off easily for cleaning.

I think really, since they are a cheap enough item, for what is saved using a cheap link over a more expensive one, what, £2-3 difference? The saving isn't worth the hassle of using a cheapie. Even mnmore so I would suggest if you are going to be taking the chain on and off for cleaning.

rh100

alci4 said:

Than one is a chain connecting pin, you would need the tool to go with it. I've got the SRAM chains (7/8 speed) with quick links on and they seem to be fine, a bit fiddly to remove but still they work ok and have not let me down (yet!).

This thread is a timely reminder for me though, I really should get a couple of spare quick links for the repair kit.

Which Halfords was it? I don't know what part of Brum you are in but I can point you in the direction of a couple of good LBS's in the Solihull and Hall Green area.

Re-useable chain links are useful for installing and removing chains but I'd be wary of trying to repair a chain with them. If a chain is buggered it should be thrown away. They should be seen as consumables like cables and brake blocks which wear away and/or deteriorate in time and should be replaced regularly.
When preventative maintenance has failed the repair procedure for a stiff link is to manipulate it side to side and to lubricate it.

As for the idea of keeping them for roadside repairs: If they've been installed correctly in the first place it's only knackered old chains which fail unless you're guilty of monstrously brutal loaded gear shifting.

Davidc

Guru
I keep a SRAM link in my tool kit in case a chain snaps, and I've tested them with the Shimano chains I use (Shimano say they won't work and I'd never argue with them).

If I ever have a chain break on me it'll go in the bin as soon as I can get it there - I'd never trust it again. Checking chains every few months and replacing them before they're totally worn out probably helps avoid them failing on the bike, for an 8 speed HG 40 it's only £7 to replace it so not worth any risks keeping it. Luck probably comes into it as well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use the links for joining a new chain.....i.e. the new link that come with a chain. If a chain is damaged in anyway I replace. Old links - I keep one with my multi-tool just in case of an on-road failure, but never re-use them.

That Taya design looks poor for a 'road' chain - most i.e. KMC and SRAM inter lock with each other. Fixed/SS chain joiners look a bit like the Taya, but have an extra clip for securing the outer plate.

Looks like the Taya is 'directional'

New chain time

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

rh100 said:
Which Halfords was it? I don't know what part of Brum you are in but I can point you in the direction of a couple of good LBS's in the Solihull and Hall Green area.

i'm in oldbury m8

mickle said:
If a chain is buggered it should be thrown away. They should be seen as consumables like cables and brake blocks which wear away and/or deteriorate in time and should be replaced regularly.
When preventative maintenance has failed the repair procedure for a stiff link is to manipulate it side to side and to lubricate it.

the bike is only 5 weeks old so the chain should be sound

it was just a link that was stiff it looked like somthing had jammed anddamaged one of the plates (couldnt get it to loosen at all)

I had the Taya type as a kid; It worked for me at the time. IIRC it works where the chain is in tension the pins are pulled to the locking position. Incorrect fitting chain compression I think would easily cause one side to fall off. Several years down the line and a bit more experience I know there are much better but similar products out there such as the SRAM or KMC links which seem much more secure. Edit: I've also done thousands of miles with these links and never had a problem.

mickle said:
RAs for the idea of keeping them for roadside repairs: If they've been installed correctly in the first place it's only knackered old chains which fail unless you're guilty of monstrously brutal loaded gear shifting.

No chance of a manufacturing fault then?

Chain failed on my tourer after 2 months, and I'm a spinner, my gear changes are all under little load

Top Bottom