Chain rub on smallest cog ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fr188

Hello, am building up a Carlton Pro , when the chain is on the smallest cog on the cassette it rubs on the chain stay, any suggestions?
I'm running a ultegra 9 speed 25/14 cassette, I'm thinking it could be the smallest cog of 14 is too big for the limited space / I will try a 25/12 cassette when it arrives , that could be the answer maybe, I've set the limit on the rear derailleur to stop at the 8 th cog just incase the chain jams up, any thoughts.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A picture would be useful however I assume you mean the seatstay as opposed to the flat chainstay. Has the frame been 'coldset' from 126-130mm.

OP
OP
fr188

fr188

Yes sorry, it's the seat stay I've not cold set this bike as the distance is 128 mm

Attachments

• IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 286
OP
OP
fr188

fr188

Yes I think I'll try the 12 tooth cog though I liked the idea of a the small cog being 14 as there's less jump gaps in the gearing, as it would be rare for for me to be riding on the 12

A tooth increases/decreases a sprocket/chainring radius by 2mm.
So going 14->12 will drop your chain by 4mm.

Top gear tends to be around 4:1 so if you drop your cassette by 2 teeth then by dropping your chainrings by 8 teeth will give you the same range of gears ......... :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is the 'back end' of my 531c Worksop Raleigh (built by the same fellas) with a 12-25 rear Dura-ace cassette albeit 8 speed but the same spacing as the 9 speed Dura-ace cassette, wheel is a Shimano 10 speed with spacers behind the cassette.

DSCN0133.JPG

Top Bottom