Chain rubbing on front derailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was testing the gears on my brand new Cannondale Synapse whilst it was in the workstand before I rode it. I noticed that the chain was rubbing on front derailer when it was in the smallest chainset and smallest sprocket on the cassette. It is perfect in other gears.

Is there something wrong or is it merely a gear I should avoid using?

Yeah avoid

CXRAndy

Guru
'cross chaining' is not the best way to ride. You're placing the chain in a 'S' shape which creates added friction and increased wear on the chain and sprockets.

Use small chainring with the 5 easy gears and big ring on 6 harder gears.

Slick

Guru
Okay great thanks.
Everyone is quite right about the cross chaining but you could either trim that front derailer or try adjusting it to reduce that rubbing.

Cross-chaining, whether riding big/big or small/small, is a no-no. It puts great strain on the chain, sprockets, chainrings and jockey wheels.

It grinds the chainrings down by making them thinner, which then leads to pressure bulges. It also grinds down the sides of the jockey wheel and causes it to derail, with catastrophic rendezvous for chain, spokes and derailer. Sometimes the right chainstay also joins the party and it is game over.

Don't do it. Just consider those gears as not available to you. On electronic systems those are blanked off and the system will change so that you cannot cross-chain.

Last edited:
True, but they might be able to minimise it but using it like that is not a good idea.
You are digging a bigger and bigger hole for yourself.
No amount of fiddling with the derailer can fix the fact that the chain, in a cross-chain position, has to run along a diagonal line from front to back. The shorter the chainstay, the more obtuse the angle. Further, that angle is not made up of a gentle curve of the chain. No, it is made up of a hard bend where the chain exits the front sprocket and an equally hard bend where the chain enters the rear sprockets. The two sprockets cannot accommodate a diagonal line, therefore the chain has to flex.
A scraping FD is actually a blessing because it warns you of you doing illegal stuff with the chain. Put it out of its pain and shift.

Lastly, encouraging people to take it back to the shop only distributes the BS. Now the poor shopkeeper has to educate the customer who is already in a state of brainwashing thanks to internet wisdom.

Top Bottom