Chain set query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Because it's not on the left.......
Poor answer, but totally accurate!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
So that the forward pedalling action tightened the cog at the rear? Early bicycles having a single fixed sprocket it would have been much more straightforward to use a standard thread on the hub and the sprocket.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It would be on the wrong side in photos, if it was on the left! Only way around it would be to have the bike pointing backwards... against convention (I believe it's to do with writing left to right).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I can see no technical reason not to have it on the other side, but you'd need to build dérailleurs to suit and make the freewheel freewheel the other way.
A fixie could be done, but you'd need to re-thread the cranks the other way round or really welly the pedals up tight.
I suspect it just became a de-facto standard, like the pedal arrangement in cars. There's no particular reason why you couldn't swap the brake and throttle pedals over, but why would you?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've posted this before, but my self-esteem could probably take a bit more of a kicking...

After a glass or three of wine, i started building up a singlespeeder.
I fitted the chainset, then the wheel (just loosely in the dropouts) then the chain, adjusting it to length. I then tried to tighten up the quick release, as which point I noticed the unused rear mech hanger, on the opposite side of the bike. I'd assembled the entire transmission on the wrong side...

Gary E

Veteran
Have to say - it does look a bit weird :laugh:

FCR 3.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's perfectly possible to build a fixed wheel mirror-image. Rather more difficult to do the same with gears.

I am not sure where I saw it (probably Sheldon Brown), but someone put together a bike with 2 chains, one on each side to produce a sort of fixed gear. Each side had a chain-ring and a single speed sprocket. I think the gearing was set up so it was easier to apply braking force.

Top Bottom