Chain Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Turns out on closer inspection, the gear cable was at fault here, it had split and frayed in the shifter. Believe it or not, this is the second gear cable in 10000 miles to have frayed inside the (105) shifter. Luckily I had a section just long enough, within an inch, so all fixed.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well found, that must have been a tricky one to diagnose. Not one I'd have thought to check!

Ajax Bay

Guru
I know you are one of the most egregious bike mechanics on here :notworthy: but I have recently experimented with my new high value torque wrench (cannae be bothered to find the thread now) and 40Nm was 6 clicks ^_^ :tongue:
Pat - Sorry missed this 10 days ago. and how interesting that, for you and your cassette/lockring, 6 clicks gives you a 40Nm reading on your super new torque wrench. That sounds like a really good 'rule of thumb' for all to use.
You are, I think, too kind (and I'm absolutely sure that it's not true). Your use of 'egregious' was beyond my 'ready access' vocab, so I had to look it up - I'm going for the 'archaic' meaning, on the basis of your positive outlook and avoidance of the prejorative!

adjective: egregious
  1. 1.
    outstandingly bad; shocking.
    "egregious abuses of copyright"
  2. 2.
    archaic
    remarkably good.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the gear cable was at fault here, it had split and frayed
Glad you've solved the issue, though I'm still surprised it manifested itself only on sprockets 5 and 6. After 10,000km of use, I'd still be considering allowing your excellent cassette some time to munch grass in retirement.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Glad you've solved the issue, though I'm still surprised it manifested itself only on sprockets 5 and 6. After 10,000km of use, I'd still be considering allowing your excellent cassette some time to munch grass in retirement.
When I saw it was frayed I also assumed this was just another issue, not THE issue, however from what I could see when I rolled the hood back, a few strands had snapped and were catching on part of the plastic on certain indexes, so the tension on the cable was sort of half a click I guess in those sprockets but clearing perfectly for the other indexes.

I actually tell a lie, this is the 3rd cable to break in the shifter. The first was the stock cable and it had frayed so badly it had worn away the cable guide in the shifter. The bike shop sorted all this on warranty, the new cable then did the same thing, so I put a new cable in myself. That cable was damaged in an accident, the bike shop did all the work for that and put in a new cable and it's the one that just frayed too. My cable lasted the longest and met it's end not in the same way. Surely it's coincidence all the bike shop cables failed in the same way, it's not a job I guess you can mess up either that or it's poor cable.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
adjective: egregious
  1. 1.
    outstandingly bad; shocking.
    "egregious abuses of copyright"
  2. 2.
    archaic
    remarkably good.
Dunno what dictionary you consulted :wacko: but egregious comes from the Latin, is used in modern Italian (egregio) and means illustrious, most esteemed.
Linky - and I sincerely meant it thus :notworthy:

Top Bottom