Chain snapped as I cycled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
It makes me wonder why the chain manufacturers say we should only use one quicklink per chain. I reckon it so they can sell more chains!

I have used 2 in a couple of chains without any problems.
I have 3 on mine BUT it is a recumbent and the chain is made up from 2 1/2 normal length chains.^_^
Connex quick links don't need a tool to undo & are reusable but EXPENSIVE!!
You do get one with a new Connex chain though.

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Happened to me once' chain doesn't snap as such just a link fails. Was about 5.30am on a winter commute from Leicester to Coventry. Carry a quick link and chain tool so fixed it reasonably easily...though I was cold and dark...carried spares for most things on tht commute as I could get stuck a looong way from home...

Ajax Bay

Guru
It makes me wonder why the chain manufacturers say we should only use one quicklink per chain.
This differs with chain makes, and think it is to do with design detail of the 'quick link'. Some are described as reusable. Normally I might close one 3 times: first fit and two remove, thorough clean and refits, in 1500 miles (say), before replacement.
See @Shearwater Missile 's post and the comments which follow it:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chain-length-too-long.258850/page-2#post-5929028

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Chain snaps on fixies or singlespeeds are rare because - assuming you built it properly - the chain should be running perfectly straight, with no side forces except from frame flex. However, break one and you're in a world of doo-doo unless you carry a spare link. You can't shorten it!
I also carry a short length of chain as well as a link,but I definitely endorse the doo- doo comment

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I carry a Lezyne multi-tool and the chain splitter works well.

I've had one chain snap and another where a side plate broke. Both were simple enough to repair.

Quick links are sold as specific to the chain 10, 11 speed etc. however I've used a 10 on an 11 speed chain without any problems.

One tip. I find it difficult to put enough tension on the chain to click the link closed. Once the link is fitted carefully and slowly rotate the pedals and this will close the quick link fully.

Thanks fella.

Top Bottom