Chain snapped as I cycled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Happened to me twice, about a year apart. Both times on short steep uphills. And both times in the same town, about 20k from home.

First time meant a train trip home. Second time, I had a quicklink and chain tool.

silva

Über Member
One should disassemble the links, clean the parts to shiny, sort them into categories (makes the next step easier), then inspect with a magnifying glass (a microscope would be better but let's keep it cheap so everybody can do it) both sides.
When nothing found, reassemble the chain and fit it back on. That's it. That's all. Done.

silva

Über Member
Oh yea, if you have in winter the bad luck to discover you're riding in salted snow no inspection needed just stop and walk home. It may have saved your life.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What signs should we look out for on our pre-ride check as an indication that the chain is about to snap?
Dave - to offer an outlook suited to the English weather for the last month (as opposed to above), drop of oil and wipe with paper towel (or soft rag) offers a good chance of detecting fractured sideplates.
All three fractured sideplates (first one then two, 200km later) I discovered on the chain I've just replaced were on the outside of the chain.
But better, for the self-disciplined (not me normally) this is best not left till immediately pre-ride as often the rider is short of time (eg to meet others or just 'get away').
Another failure catalyst is when the chain has been joined with a pin (Shimano-style or similar) and that hasn't been done quite right. The slight difference in the peened end of that pin can give this link on the chain away (during inspection) and it's worth a special focus.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Has anybody ever had a quicklink fail? All 8 or 9 broken links that I have dealt with were ordinary links. Statistically, that would be expected even if quicklinks had exactly the same failure rate as ordinary links since there are more than 100 ordinary links per chain compared to 1 quicklink.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What chain splitter tool do you recommend?

Are the quick links universal?
I carry a Lezyne multi-tool and the chain splitter works well.

I've had one chain snap and another where a side plate broke. Both were simple enough to repair.

Quick links are sold as specific to the chain 10, 11 speed etc. however I've used a 10 on an 11 speed chain without any problems.

One tip. I find it difficult to put enough tension on the chain to click the link closed. Once the link is fitted carefully and slowly rotate the pedals and this will close the quick link fully.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
A few years ago now but I had one snap ten miles from home. That was back when I was still using flat pedals and trainers so the walk home wasn't too bad. Even with Spd shoes, I'm not sure I would fancy walking more than a couple of miles so carry quick links and mini chain tool now.

In the olden days of 8 speed chains you could remove a broken link and reuse the rivet to rejoin the chain a bit shorter but still usable. Modern chains are thinner and cannot be rejoined by reusing the rivet, you need a quick link. Chaintools for removing a rivet are much less demanding than one for inserting a rivet. You can just punch the rivet out with a nail and hammer.

Ajax Bay

Guru
One tip. I find it difficult to put enough tension on the chain to click the link closed. Once the link is fitted carefully and slowly rotate the pedals and this will close the quick link fully.
To put enough tension on the chain to click the link closed, slowly rotate the cranks to bring the quick link to the top run of the chain (between sprocket and chainring) and apply a brief sufficient force on the pedal (ie fist hit). This will visibly close the quick link. And check smooth chain running by a few more rotations of the cranks.

Top Bottom