Chain snapped as I cycled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Thanks for all the advice, I will be better prepared next time.

Yes the snapping sound is a strange one. Luckily had no cars around, so was able to pull over easily.

Throughout the ride the chain had felt clunky, so it most have been at the end of its life.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Chain snaps on fixies or singlespeeds are rare because - assuming you built it properly - the chain should be running perfectly straight, with no side forces except from frame flex. However, break one and you're in a world of doo-doo unless you carry a spare link. You can't shorten it!

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I have only broke/had one break chain, over 10 years ago, I was going up a very steep short hill and If memory serves correct, I "may" have been changing down at the time, it hurt!!!!
I was lucky there was an LBS close and even though the mechanic was really busy they put me a new chain on there and then, I did go back and buy my next new bike from them because of the service I had received, anyhow, even though it was so long ago I always carry a multi tool with a chain splitter and a spare quick link

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Luckily I've never had a chain break whilst riding... but... I still carry a quick link just in case.

Same here - usually noticed after a ride whilst oiling the chain. I've had one 10 speed chain split on a link on my MTB, and possibly an 8 speed chain on my other MTB.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Chains breaking isn’t common. But as above chain splitter and quick link. No need to throw chain away once fixed. Quick links are usually same for 7/8/9 speed then different for 10 speed. I have no bikes with 11 speed or above, so don’t know the situation for those quick links.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I replaced a broken chain recently with a fractured side plate, upon inspection there were another 3 side plates which had also fractured. It was a KMC x9 chain, was not old or high mileage and had not been abused, it measured 0.6% worn. It must have been a manufacturing defect. So while it is rare it will sometimes happen.
Spookily similar experience last month.
I replaced a chain recently which was 'clicking' occasionally: it had one fractured side plate.
Rode another couple of 100km+ rides and (fortunately with only a km to go) the same symptom reappeared.
Upon inspection there were another [2] side plates which had also fractured. It was a KMC X9 chain, was not old or high mileage (1985 miles), had not been abused, and it measured 0.6% worn. It must have been a manufacturing defect. I shall be sticking to SRAM ones from now on.
The lesson identified from this is that a quick post-ride oil and wipe (paper towel), besides the lubrication benefit, has a good chance of detecting fractured sideplates before they let go.
NB: "Extra Stretch Proof"

Ajax Bay

Guru
For the OP: My little 'stand-alone' Topeak tool weighs 83g and a couple of spare links plus a 'powerlink' might weigh another 10g. Last used to mend a stranded rider's broken chain 20 days ago:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chain-length-dilemma.261899/#post-6007766

ruffers

Veteran
As stated above, a multi tool with a chain tool on is a good investment and a few quick links.
I repaired mine recently and couldn’t believe how easy it was.

GM

Legendary Member
I had a chain snapped 2 weeks ago, first time in 50 odd years of cycling. The annoying thing was I bought a chain tool from Park Tool a couple of weeks prior, and left it at home. Ironically a new chain arrived in the post this morning from Tweeks, but that's another story :stop:

Mike_P

Guru
Had a chain break a few weeks back, suspect it was a stiff link I had previously fixed but presumably shifted the pin a bit too much. Only three miles from home so walked, a benefit of using SPDs. Since got a small Park Tools chain tool, annoyingly since then I have also bent a couple of quick links by cross chaining due to realising part of the way up a climb I was still on the big ring; the first time through looking at the chainrings in the light and shade of some trees and convincing myself I wasn't and the second is a mystery as it was on the second of two successive climbs and I could not recall changing the front derailleur.

Drago

Legendary Member
To answer to OP's question, not common at all on well maintained bikes. Completely unknown on bikes subject to pre ride checks. I never carry quick links or chain tool on a ride (might be different on a long tour far from support), preferring to reply on the military 7 P's.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's not quite that simple, as I found out the hard way. Not all 8-speed quick links fit all 8-speed chains.
That's interesting... As I mentioned above, I bought a bag of generic 8-speed quicklinks from China. I used one of them to repair the chain on my singlespeed bike recently. Fortunately, it fitted ok.

The chain broke just as I was about to stand and sprint up a short local hill. If it had happened even 1 second later it could have had painful consequences, but I was lucky - I just coasted to a stop.

The broken link...

Oh, I just found a picture of the other link that I broke a few years ago. That was in similar circumstances except that I had actually got out of the saddle. Fortunately, I felt the chain 'give' and sat down again before it came apart!

Top Bottom