Chain splitter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Yeah, me too. I've declined to do this for friends with 10/11 speed chains as I was aware of potential issues there, but always thought 9 speed behaved similarly to 8.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You can join 9 speed chains, but the ease of using a quick link instead means that the risk of not getting it quite right (result either stiff link or, in extremis, chain parting) is not worth it. Except, perhaps, for those like @robjh @Gunk and @ChrisEyles who are chain joining ninjas who enjoy the feeling of self-worth by demonstrating to themselves they can still 'do it'. And a quick link means one can easily remove the chain for its half-life thorough clean.

robjh

Legendary Member
You can join 9 speed chains, but the ease of using a quick link instead means that the risk of not getting it quite right (result either stiff link or, in extremis, chain parting) is not worth it. Except, perhaps, for those like @robjh @Gunk and @ChrisEyles who are chain joining ninjas who enjoy the feeling of self-worth by demonstrating to themselves they can still 'do it'. And a quick link means one can easily remove the chain for its half-life thorough clean.
I find reopening quick links once they've bedded in very difficult, to nigh-on impossible on some chains, which is one of the reasons I rarely use them for chain repairs.

C R

Guru
With a chain like this one (kmc 9 speed) you ca see that the end of the pin is splayed out over the plate. When the pin is pushed out the material over the plate breaks at random, and the end of the pin doesn't look very healthy after that. There may be other 9 speed that have straight end pins like the lower speeds do, but with a chain like in the photo I would not be confident about the hold of the pin when pushed back.
IMG_20201003_132222.jpg

faster

Über Member
With a chain like this one (kmc 9 speed) you ca see that the end of the pin is splayed out over the plate. When the pin is pushed out the material over the plate breaks at random, and the end of the pin doesn't look very healthy after that. There may be other 9 speed that have straight end pins like the lower speeds do, but with a chain like in the photo I would not be confident about the hold of the pin when pushed back.
View attachment 550456

Exactly, and the same is true of 6/7/8 speed chains these days too. I think they've been like this since Shimano drivetrains started using 'narrow'/'IG' chains about 30 years ago.

When you push the pin out, the peen breaks off the end of the pin and is usually left as a tiny ring of steel around the end of the chain tool. This is pretty much impossible to re-create and pushing the pin back in results in a severely weakened chain. If you try to push the same pin out in the same direction after re-joining, it's worryingly easy.

For the infinitesimally miniscule cost (effectively zero if you use KMC/SRAM chains and reuse the link), it's worth doing the job correctly with a quick link or Shimano joining pin - especially if you like your teeth and nuts the way they are.

For those who struggle with quick links, the pliers to separate them are available for about £3 and make the job child's play - much quicker than messing around pushing pins in and out with a chain tool. No tools are required to fit a quick link.

You can get away with joining chains incorrectly for a long time, especially if you are lucky or blessed with weak legs, but the question is, why bother?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
but the question is, why bother?

As an emergency roadside measure.

I've done that once on a 10 speed, and seen it done a couple of times by the mechanically proficient leader of my cycling group.

Other than that circumstance, all my chain joins are by the correct quick link.

faster

Über Member
As an emergency roadside measure.

I've done that once on a 10 speed, and seen it done a couple of times by the mechanically proficient leader of my cycling group.

Other than that circumstance, all my chain joins are by the correct quick link.

Agreed - fine in an emergency to get home.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Even easier for an 'on the roadside' repair: carry a quick link. A 9sp one will do for a 10sp chain temporarily - well got my fellow drinker home from the pub - he had just joined his (new) chain before our evening 'ride to the pub' by pushing the pin back in.

AKHiker

Are 9 speed chains not ok to split and rejoin then? Never knew this and have done it a few times when accidentally buying a 9 speed chain instead of an 8 speed one.
Shimano doesn't recommend it. Thinking it's the shape of the pin on their 9s stretches the hole a fraction as you pop it out so new pin is a small fraction less secure. New joining pins are made to accommodate that. Master links or kmc missing links are sometimes even cheaper than new pins so a good way to go. Makes some servicing and repairs later on easier too. I keep a spare on in my emergency kit as well

ChrisEyles

Guru
I do keep a spare quick link in my tool kit out on the bike, but never had an issue yet.

Except once on a very rusty 1930s chain, which broke first ride after I joined it back together! But that was not entirely unexpected so I wasn't far from home.

Top Bottom