Chain splitter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just bought a chain splitter like the one in the picture off ebay. It came with no instructions. I can push the chain's rivets out and back in again by just turning the handle. What is the black screw on the other end of the body for?

s-l1600.jpg

Lozz360

Veteran
By turning the black bolt at the bottom, you hold the chain in place while you screw the other end down to force the rivet out. I'm surprised you managed to "push the chain's rivets out and back" without this adjustment.

Surely its purpose is to prevent you pushing the rivet that little bit too far through the sideplate (we've all done it!) when you drive the rivet out; and similarly preventing you driving the rivet just a bit too far when turning the handle to push the rivet back in after repairing the chain; that is why it is adjustable - you can set it pretty accurately with no fear of over-driving the rivet.

I don't see how it could possibly "hold the chain in place" while you force the rivet out to break the chain. After all it shares the same axis as the rivet and the main screw with the handle. There has to be a space between the rivet and the end of the black screw...otherwise you wouldn't be able to force the rivet out of the roller at all; it wouldn't move a micron. The chain is held in place by the chain splitter's tooth which fits snugly between two adjacent rollers as it does on a sprocket or chainring.

The only other possibility is that the black screw is hollow.....in which case it could be used to hold the chain in place, but why would anyone want to do that as the tooth and/or a finger do that just fine?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

By turning the black bolt at the bottom, you hold the chain in place while you screw the other end down to force the rivet out. I'm surprised you managed to "push the chain's rivets out and back" without this adjustment.

My chain splitter doesn't have the black bolt

midlife

Guru
Is it one of those that push the pin into the hollow threaded part ? Back to front compared to a Rivoli etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I agree, re-riveting can cause a tight spot on the chain.

The pins these days aren't designed to be re-joined as they usually have a groove that the link sits in, break this then it compromises the chain - certainly since 9 speed.

AKHiker

Regular
9 speed and up-not for rejoining. 8 and down should still be fine. Master links make it a little easier to do some maintenance or replacement of parts when needed but not necessary.

Ebay one should be ok if you're careful about chain placement every time you use it. Better value for money for me was one like this that came with an extra pin and the wire link to hold the chain on amazon. You can always use a paper clip to hold the chain but having the loop right there to use is convenient. I refurbish bikes and use mine a lot on some really rusted up solid junk. It's held up without a pin replacement for over a year

Attachments

• chain splitter.jpg
    chain splitter.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 5

ChrisEyles

Guru
Are 9 speed chains not ok to split and rejoin then? Never knew this and have done it a few times when accidentally buying a 9 speed chain instead of an 8 speed one.

Top Bottom