Chain stretch question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's what happens when you lavish all the care & attention on other bikes ... and just assume the one you put most miles on will be OK with just an occasional drop of oil on chain and pump of the tires.:eek:

Crankarm

Guru
Hey ho!
I've been wondering if there be something wrong somewhere... because chain's been "slipping" a bit of late, at first I thought this was worn/broken teeth somewhere, but couldn't see anything obvious.

Anyway I got the chain checker out this morning and found it was way past 1%, so new chain & cassette time, which is fine because it's been on there for years...
and then I noticed this:
View attachment 426770
inner plate broken this time...

You've certainly looked after this chain and the rest of the transmission I should imagine? LoL.

Crankarm

Guru
Well I have got 15k miles out of my bike's chain and not even the 0.75 wear mark has been reached. It's still sparkly clean looking as well. Looking forward to another 15k miles.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
On an all-weather commuting bike, one year is enough to trash a chain and rear SA sprocket. At £3 a sprocket, it's not worth doing any maintenance except oiling.

Top Bottom