Chain stretch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi :hello: has anyone ever changed there chain because of chain stretch?

I suspect most have.

Wear more than stretch.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi :hello: has anyone ever changed there chain because of chain stretch?
Jeez! I hope YS doesn't see this.......

Bicycle chains get longer due to wear at the pins, nothing to do with stretching. Most people seem to typically get around 1,000-2,000 miles out of a chain before 'stretch' makes replacement necessary but this can vary enormously from person to person and is subject to a mountain of influences that will make any one cyclists claimed chain life expectancy almost meainingless to someone else.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Get a chain wear gauge. They only cost a few quid
New-chain-and-chain-gauge-showing-correct-length.jpg
. I change my chains when they stretch by more than 0.5%.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi ok :okay: well if I go say up hill or put hard pressure on pedals my chain snaps like it off gear yet all gears set ok. Do this sound like a worn Chain? What about the back sprockets is there anything to look for if worn? they look all straight in line

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't wait until you get a special wear gauge if you have a steel ruler or tape. Measure 12 links on the run under tension (probably the bottom if you've a spring-loaded gear-changer). If the left edges are more than 1/16" away from being exactly 12" apart, the chain's worn (which is what people usually refer to as stretch) and it's time for a new one.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have a chain gauge and have replaced my chain when it's 0.5% in the past.... but these days I'm more inclined to let the chain, chain rings and cassette wear out in unison, and after about X years when it all starts slipping, i'll replace the lot. There is no science behind this but i have a hunch that it's going to be a little cheaper and easier in the long run.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have a chain gauge and have replaced my chain when it's 0.5% in the past.... but these days I'm more inclined to let the chain, chain rings and cassette wear out in unison, and after about X years when it all starts slipping, i'll replace the lot. There is no science behind this but i have a hunch that it's going to be a little cheaper and easier in the long run.

That wouldn't work for me on an MTB

3 chains per cassette usually, and replace the whole crank-set when it looks tacky

Not sure how I am going to fair with the single speed though. I'm forever changing the front and rear cogs to suit conditions and the chain doesn't seem to wear at all so far

12boy

Guru
Chris folder...If your chain is worn there is an excellent chance the rear sprocket(s) are doen also. Change the chain and if the chain slips you should probably change the sprocket as well. !2, 13 and probably 14 tooth sprockets on a 16 " wheel wear very fast because the wheel spins so often.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi 12boy :hello: yep the chain is worn and slack to and sprocket teeth on back wheel are pointed the front sprocket looks ok I was going to order the chain and back 2 sprockets and leave front main sprocket how big should the gaps be between each teeth on main sprocket I wounder? Could you measure your front sprocket gaps between teeth? Or would you say to look for pointed teeth like back showing for wear?

Hi 12boy :hello: yep the chain is worn and slack to and sprocket teeth on back wheel are pointed the front sprocket looks ok I was going to order the chain and back 2 sprockets and leave front main sprocket how big should the gaps be between each teeth on main sprocket I wounder? Could you measure your front sprocket gaps between teeth? Or would you say to look for pointed teeth like back showing for wear?
I very much doubt your rear sprocket teeth are pointed.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Not all of them around half not sort of square shape the teeth more poined why would you say just change the chain?

davidphilips

Veteran
Hi ok :okay: well if I go say up hill or put hard pressure on pedals my chain snaps like it off gear yet all gears set ok. Do this sound like a worn Chain? What about the back sprockets is there anything to look for if worn? they look all straight in line

Before replacing anything just check your back derailleur is not sticking just gently pull the derailleur backwards and it should pull forward on its own if it stays back or is already back then get this sorted out first.

Top Bottom