Chain stretch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi I spoke to a Brompton dealer he said they look like sharks teeth when there worn thats what they look like slight point on some he said if your chain is worn well your sprockets would be to im going to replace them he said front main sprocket mite be worn to

[QUOTE 4915345, member: 9609"]may be he means the chain ring, they wear more where you apply the power so some of those go pointy and some don't. I turn mine on the crank a fifth of a turn occasionally to try and keep the wear even..[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are right. I based my statements on this text of his:
Hi 12boy :hello: yep the chain is worn and slack to and sprocket teeth on back wheel are pointed the front sprocket looks ok I was going to order the chain and back 2 sprockets and leave front main sprocket how big should the gaps be between each teeth on main sprocket I wounder? Could you measure your front sprocket gaps between teeth? Or would you say to look for pointed teeth like back showing for wear?

God alone knows what it means. More punctuation and less emoticons would help. I just have to keep on reinforcing that wear patterns differ from front to back.

[QUOTE 4915345, member: 9609"]
for reasons I don't quite understand the teeth on cassettes don't go pointy, they seem to wear out with little visual sign.[/QUOTE]

The reasons are outlined in detail in "the book".

[QUOTE 4915345, member: 9609"]may be he means the chain ring, they wear more where you apply the power so some of those go pointy and some don't. I turn mine on the crank a fifth of a turn occasionally to try and keep the wear even..[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are right. I based my statements on this text of his:
Hi 12boy :hello: yep the chain is worn and slack to and sprocket teeth on back wheel are pointed the front sprocket looks ok I was going to order the chain and back 2 sprockets and leave front main sprocket how big should the gaps be between each teeth on main sprocket I wounder? Could you measure your front sprocket gaps between teeth? Or would you say to look for pointed teeth like back showing for wear?

God alone knows what it means. More punctuation and less emoticons would help. I just have to keep on reinforcing that wear patterns differ from front to back.

[QUOTE 4915345, member: 9609"]
- I'm getting close to the 2% one chain is at 1.9 and the other 3 are round the 1.6, 1.7 mark, may be another month.[/QUOTE]
I'm whetting my teeth for those.

Kell

Veteran
Buy a chain gauge, learn how to use it and decide for yourself.

I've been told in the past that changing the chain regularly (i.e. before it 'stretches' too much) means you don't have to change the cogs as often, but every time I've tried that, the new chain jumps on the old cogs. So now, I tend to also subscribe to the argument of letting all your drive train wear out at the same time then replacing everything in one go. It only costs about £50 for a new chain, rear cogs and front chain ring, so to me that's OK a couple of times a year.

There is nothing worse than having your chain slip just as you're applying pressure - and it's most likely to slip right then. I broke my Coccyx a few years ago when a chain slipped on my old Dahon and dumped me on the cross bar.

There is nothing worse than having your chain slip just as you're applying pressure - and it's most likely to slip right then. I broke my Coccyx a few years ago when a chain slipped on my old Dahon and dumped me on the cross bar.
Reading that brought the taste of raw egg yolk to my mouth.

Top Bottom