Chain wear checker for a Brommie.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
An
I can highly recommend using a better (longer) mudflap than the stock one on the front wheel. With the stock one dirt and water gets thrown directly onto chainwheel and chain (as well as water onto your feet), with a longer one none of this happens any more. With drastic positive effects on chain life (as well as on the dryness of your feet when you ride in the rain). With readers of the German Bromptonauten-forum the "Fahrer Latz Race" is close to become a standard on the Brompton to the same amount as Ergon Grips are. Both are a drastic enhancement over the factory standard. Obviously it is easy to build a longer mudflap yourself from surplus materials - give it a try.

And it's the Race version, not the urban version that works?

Any pictures of one fitted to a Brommie? I'd certainly be interested in something which work a little better.

berlinonaut

Veteran
And it's the Race version, not the urban version that works?
Any pictures of one fitted to a Brommie? I'd certainly be interested in something which work a little better.

Yup - the race is slimmer and it works like a charm on the Brommi.
Here's the silver version:
35771610bv.jpg

Herre's the black version:
35406144kt.jpg

in detail:
36882698lx.jpg

compared to the original:
36882697ur.jpg

berlinonaut

Veteran
Thanks for that.

Just ordered one.
The best way to mount it is if you arrange the Latz and the original flap as in my picture above an copy the position of the holes from the original to the Latz. Fahrer Berlin delivers it with zip ties for mounting but on the Brommi using the original mounting points works best and looks better as well.

Kell

Veteran
compared to the original:
View attachment 487245

Ok. So mine arrived and I fitted it yesterday, but there’s no way it was as long as the above.

By lining up both of them at the top edge, the Fahrer logo was completed covered.

It was only about a cm longer than the original.

So I moved it down a fair bit to fit it. But in doing so, I did wonder if anyone’s tried remounting their original one further down? This would give the additional length, but also offer some extra width.

May not be necessary, but that slimmer design looks better, i’m Just concerned about spray coming out to the sides.

What I can say is that I fitted a brand new chain, chain ring and sprockets last week and they were covered in ‘bits’ this week. It’s rained pretty much every day, presumably this crud was thrown up from the front. So hopefully this will prevent that.

We’ll see.

Top Bottom