Chain wear on single speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi all, just acquired my first single speed and was wondering if the normal chain wear principles apply. Do you still replace the chain around the .75% mark? Are there any differences to the wear of chain and chainset and sprocket compared to a derailleur system?

It is a flip flop hub so I have both single speed options.

Many thanks from a noob to ss.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No difference, replace the chain at the normal wear limit. It should last longer on a single speed.

That may look like a perfectly innocent question but the devil is in the detail.

Chain wear can't be seen in isolation and should always be considered together with sprocket wear. In that light, wear on a singlespeed is a bit different than wear on a cassette bike.
There are many scenarios, but the two over-riding ones have to do whether you are using a single-speed half-link chain or a standard chain.
Within those two scenarios, the variations are:
Both sprockets have even-numbers of teeth.
Both sprockets have uneven numbers of teeth.

Half-link chains wear twice as fast as standard chains. This is because chain wear on a standard chain only happens on the junctions between two half links and not between pins in the same half link. Keep in mind that a link in a standard chain is a two-part affair, with an outer and inner section being called a link.
In other words, if you put a bit of tension on a worn chain and measure exactly between the various pins you'll find that on the outer-plate link, the pins are still 1/2" whilst measuring across the last pin on the outer-plate chain and the first pin in the adjacent inner-link pin, the distance will be 1/2" plus wear percentage.
The percentage elongation measured on only one link is double the percentage elongation measured over the length of the chain that takes into account equal numbers of inner and outer links.

Now, if you had a singlespeed with a 16-tooth sprocket and a standard chain, it means that only every second cog (that's the name for one tooth on a sprocket) will have worn out of pitch. If the number of cogs are unequal numbered, every cog will be worn equally because with each revolution the sprocket "sees" a different worn or unworn 1/2 link.

If the chain was a 1/2 link singlespeed chain, the wear is accentuated and percentage wear is shown as double of what it would have been on a standard chain. There is no need to apply the even/uneven overlay onto this scenario since all links are equally worn by definition.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
That may look like a perfectly innocent question but the devil is in the detail.

Chain wear can't be seen in isolation and should always be considered together with sprocket wear. In that light, wear on a singlespeed is a bit different than wear on a cassette bike.
There are many scenarios, but the two over-riding ones have to do whether you are using a single-speed half-link chain or a standard chain.

Half-link chains wear twice as fast as standard chains. This is because chain wear on a standard chain only happens on the junctions between two half links and not between pins in the same half link. Keep in mind that a link in a standard chain is a two-part affair, with an outer and inner section being called a link.
In other words, if you put a bit of tension on a worn chain and measure exactly between the various pins you'll find that on the outer-plate link, the pins are still 1/2" whilst measuring across the last pin on the outer-plate chain and the first pin in the adjacent inner-link pin, the distance will be 1/2" plus wear percentage.
The percentage elongation measured on only one link is double the percentage elongation measured over the length of the chain that takes into account equal numbers of inner and outer links.

Now, if you had a singlespeed with a 16-tooth sprocket and a standard chain, it means that only every second cog (that's the name for one tooth on a sprocket) will have worn out of pitch. If the number of cogs are unequal numbered, every cog will be worn equally because with each revolution the sprocket "sees" a different worn or unworn 1/2 link.

If the chain was a 1/2 link singlespeed chain, the wear is accentuated and percentage wear is shown as double of what it would have been on a standard chain. There is no need to apply the even/uneven overlay onto this scenario since all links are equally worn by definition.

I'll read that a couple of times and see if I get it.

Cheers.

midlife

Guru

Just out of curiosity will a 3/32 chain wear faster than a 1/8 chain?

mustang1

Guru
I want to know why single sped bikes are regarded as requiring lower maintenance. Having just one cog means it wears faster thn when using a variety of cogs on a geared bike. Then, when the chain on the ss wears, you have to move the rear wheel further back to improve chain-tension again (and you really shouldn't ride a bike with a loosely tensioned chain) whereas on a geared bike, then tensioner takes care of that.

The only thing I can think of where a geared bike needs more maintenance is replacing the gear cables but I only do that once per year which seems alright to me? Whereas I'd imagine on a ss bike, I'd be tensioning the chain at least 2x per year?

Tell me I'm wrong! (because I actually woudn't mind getting an ss bike).

Edit: oh yeah, and since there is no QR, you have to carry an additional couple of spanners if you have a puncture and it also takes longer to remove the wheel (and then you have to ensure the chain is correctly tensioned when putting the wheel back on).

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Yellow Saddle has moved on - so he'll not read that question. I called at his (Scottish) local back in May (during a very long ride) and said do you know a chap . . . and described his levels of knowledge and certainty/assuredness . . and they immediately knew who I meant. He had moved to another nearby town (I think about the same time as he stopped posting here).

midlife

Guru
@Yellow Saddle has moved on - so he'll not read that question. I called at his (Scottish) local back in May (during a very long ride) and said do you know a chap . . . and described his levels of knowledge and certainty/assuredness . . and they immediately knew who I meant. He had moved to another nearby town (I think about the same time as he stopped posting here).

Thanks just seen the date of his post..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed/single speed need less maintenance. Rode fixed for 7 years every day to and from work. One thing to note though, if you have an even number sprocket and an even number chain ring, is to occasionally swap the chain engagement (i.e. move the chain along one chain ring sprocket) as it will sound like a tractor if you've not had to remove the wheel in months (e.g. puncture) then you do.

It's less cleaning, especially for us clean freaks.

fossyant

Don't get single speed, get fixed. No point in single speed. Fixed is good for leg strength and flexibility - being able to pedal at high and low RPM. They still climb as well as a geared bike, just different (upto certain gradients).

fossyant

I loved my fixed for commuting, sadly it's been hung on the wall for the last three years - anyone want one ? Was knocked off it, not a mark on the bike, I got my spine snapped in two at just 13 mph. :wacko:

mustang1

Guru
Fixed/single speed need less maintenance. Rode fixed for 7 years every day to and from work. One thing to note though, if you have an even number sprocket and an even number chain ring, is to occasionally swap the chain engagement (i.e. move the chain along one chain ring sprocket) as it will sound like a tractor if you've not had to remove the wheel in months (e.g. puncture) then you do.

It's less cleaning, especially for us clean freaks.
How about odd chainring and odd sprocket? Or does it have to be even + odd ? (eg 48 ring + 17 sprocket)

Top Bottom