Chain wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Is it normal for a chain to be worn enough for replacement after roughly 5 weeks of use? Granted, I average over 100 miles per week, with some weeks being over 150. Seems a bit quick, but I'm still new to this. I know the original chain was pretty low end (I think it retails for less than £5), so that may have something to do with it. I'm picking up a new chain tomorrow and replacing, and have gone for a higher end SRAM chain. But I'm just wondering if I should start stockpiling chains now to replace on a monthly basis. I'll be picking up a chain tool and chain checker as well. At least the cassette looks okay.

davidphilips

Veteran
goodness thats quick are you sure its worn? most weeks i cycle at least 150 miles a week in summer sometimes a lot more, most of my bikes have the older thick 8 speed chains but never have any worn out in under a year.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
goodness thats quick are you sure its worn? most weeks i cycle at least 150 miles a week in summer sometimes a lot more, most of my bikes have the older thick 8 speed chains but never have any worn out in under a year.

I had it's 6 week service done today, and the only thing to report on was the chain was worn. I though it was fairly quick seeing as I've only ridden between 700-800 miles on it. As I said, I'm going to purchase a chain checker tomorrow when I pick up the new chain. If it is, in fact, not worn, I'll hold off on replacing.

boydj

Legendary Member
Chain wear is dependent on the type of riding. Regular commuting in all weathers can wear out a chain in 1000 miles or so, while only doing long runs in good weather will see thousands of miles from a chain.

Five weeks in summer seems a very short time to wear out a chain.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Measure the chain under tension (so bottom run on a derailleur bike as the jockey wheels hold it taut) and twelve links should measure twelve inches. If it's a sixteenth of an inch or less, that's under ½% over and OK. More than that and it's replacement time IMO, except on a single speed.

keithmac

Guru
I replaced my last chain after 3600 miles (two years of commuting), it had seen plenty of rain/ snow/ roadsalt etc.

700 miles is pretty poor (if it actually does need replacing).

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
A possible answer may be a result of poor gear selection. ( you did mention that you are fairly new to cycling ) If you are using the opposite extremes of your gear options, I.E. small ring on the chain set and small ring on the cassette, or large chain ring and large cassette ring, this will create a very poor chain line, twisting the chain to run at an angle, not in a strait line. This will cause quick wear to any chain, but even so, 6-700 miles is very quick. Check the chain yourself, by whatever method you choose, before spending any cash on replacements. It could just be an error, it could be somebody after a quick buck, or it really could have been a piece of kahkah to begin with.

Chain checkers tend to over exaggerate chain wear so the method I use is as @mjr says though I change between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch over 1/8 chances are the cassette/freewheel (gears) will need replacing as well (though this is unlikely at 700 miles or so).

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
A possible answer may be a result of poor gear selection. ( you did mention that you are fairly new to cycling ) If you are using the opposite extremes of your gear options, I.E. small ring on the chain set and small ring on the cassette, or large chain ring and large cassette ring, this will create a very poor chain line, twisting the chain to run at an angle, not in a strait line. This will cause quick wear to any chain, but even so, 6-700 miles is very quick. Check the chain yourself, by whatever method you choose, before spending any cash on replacements. It could just be an error, it could be somebody after a quick buck, or it really could have been a piece of kahkah to begin with.

Haven't cross chained. I mostly use the 5th and 6th cog (on an 8 speed) on the rear cassette with the big ring in the front. Unless climbing, then I switch to the small ring and adjust from there depending on the hill.

Haven't cross chained. I mostly use the 5th and 6th cog (on an 8 speed) on the rear cassette with the big ring in the front. Unless climbing, then I switch to the small ring and adjust from there depending on the hill.
This is what I do (sometimes) with my inner triple ring for a better chain line and like I said 3,000 +is the norm

Top Bottom