Chaincase on a Raleigh Roadster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Veteran
I'm in the process of restoring a 1958 Raleigh Roadster but I can't get the chaincase off.

The circle part behind the right hand crank just won't budge. Does anyone have any experience of disassembling these things. I've tried to turn it both clockwise and anti-clockwise but it's not shifting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Clockwise. It'll go given enough welly. Possibly.

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Veteran
The front end of the chaincase is attached to the bike at the RH BB. I have successfully removed the cotter pins (less than 30 seconds each with a "special tool") and cranks and can remove the small slide as well. It's the big main disc that prevents me from removing the chainset that I'm having problems with.

I drenched it in WD40 last night and scraped a load of crud from under the outer lip - tonight it's time to try and prise it off. :tongue:

bobg

Über Member
Number14 said:
I'm in the process of restoring a 1958 Raleigh Roadster but I can't get the chaincase off.

The circle part behind the right hand crank just won't budge. Does anyone have any experience of disassembling these things. I've tried to turn it both clockwise and anti-clockwise but it's not shifting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just twigged which bit you mean! Yup the large round bit ( about the same diameter as the chainring just pops out when you slick a screwdriver under the lip - as someone said , like a paint tin. However, if I remember correctly, theres a little sliding bit secured in a lip that slips out ( with a bit of tapping usually, that provides a bit of extra space to manouvre the other bit round the rh crank - hope this makes sense ... not sure it does but I know what I mean:sad:

OP
OP
Number14

Number14

Veteran
It's off!! :smile::biggrin:

Now to get the degreaser out .....

Top Bottom