Chainring Bolt Length/Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Shimano 5700 compact 50/34. What size/length chainring bolts do I need? Some sellers don't list the length/size in mm, which is what I need to make 100% sure they will be direct replacements for the ones I have now.

When did things get so complicated?

TIA

Nibor

Bewildered
Go to your LBS with one of the old ones I am sure they will be able to advise and supply suitable replacements.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Go to your LBS with one of the old ones I am sure they will be able to advise and supply suitable replacements.

Looks like that's my only option. I can't believe there are so many different sizes/lengths, for what is predominantly a 1, 2 or 3 chainring affair.

Nibor

Bewildered
Your only difference is one or more as the outer bolts have to go through one or two rings. The inner rings on a triple are generally bolted on using separate bolts into tapped holes in the chainset. However some single rings are thicker than average and require the bolt length for two rings as I found out to my cost wheent the single ring bolts I tried did not fit. What do you actually require them for?

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I never knew that about triple chainrings, that the inner ring had separate bolts.

I require them for a compact double 50t/34t Shimano 5700 crank.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Just a smidge over 10mm.

The male bolt is around 10mm in length, the female sleeve/nut is around 8mm, but when tightened down together, the overall length is 10.3mm. Outer diameter of male bolt across threads is 7.7mm, outer diameter of female sleeve/nut is 9.6mm. Diameter of both across the pan head is 11.6mm.

These are the measurements for a Shimano 5700 compact crank 50/34 stock chainrings, for future reference. Make it a sticky!

**Update**

Just found that the measurement for a chainring bolt is determined by locking the two parts together and then measuring the distance between the underside of the two lips. So, my 10mm chainring bolt (overall length) is actually a 6.5mm chainring bolt (distance between the underside of the lips/heads.)

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Did one of yours break then?

Top Bottom