chainring help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If I put an Alivio 42T 8s/7s chainring into a deore 9 speed transmission tomorrow (9-speed cassette, 9-speed chain, 9-speed middle and small ring) am I going to have problems? If so why?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Measure the spacing between the rings and make sure the chain can't fall between them and I'd expect all to be OK. I think you'd have to mix more extremes to suffer problems, like 5s rings with 10s or 11s chain.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Currently the bike is set up as a 2 x 9 via the simple expedient of the previous owner having taken the big ring off a Deore chainset and then reseting the front mech limit screws. Not as inappropriate as it sounds as this is a cargo bike. But for my legs it is chronically under-geared and is spending too much time in the tiny rings on the cassette.

I'm converting it back to a low-geared 3 x 9 hence only going 42T, and it will be getting a new chain anyway as I'm adding a TerraCycle idler gear set to get the chain up and away from the chainstay and rack/kickstand because it currently smacks them too often for my liking.

View attachment 110660

Top Bottom