Chainrings for FSA 9 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozi

I have a 2010 Kona Cindercone which i have owned since new and done about 6000 miles on it (5627 since getting strava) and it is absolutely battered i have dragged it along as far as i can, i really need to do something about the drivetrain its slipping like crazy i haven't been able to use the big ring for a while and its now slipping the chain in most gears.

To be totally honest i have never even cleaned it let alone serviced it which i know it terrible but its done pretty well considering.

My plan was to go all out and treat it to a nice GRX group set etc but i don't have the funds right now so i want to try and keep it going for cheaper and try and get it through another winter, i have been riding it every day since September and done about 3000 miles in that time i really don't want to be without it.

It is 9 speed with a 3x FSA Alpha Drive crankset 44/32/22, 11-32 cassette, deore front derailleur and SLX rear derailleur (i think anyway they are no longer very identifiable)

It seems like a cassette is obtainable and a chain but the chain rings i am having some trouble with i have never had to buy any drivetrain components before and i don't really understand what is compatible with what, it seems like i am gunna struggle to get chain rings for this.

Can anybody help me solve this? if it is solvable that is.

Thanks

Sharky

Guru
Just put a new cassette and chain on and give the rest of the transmission a good clean. Very unlikely that the front rings are worn out yet.

gbb

Legendary Member
A quick look at Wiggle shows Alpha Drive 44tx 96 bcd chainrings for less than £7 each, there will doubtless be others, check your actual sizes of course.

raggydoll

Über Member
Have you ever changed the chain or cassette before?

The chain is always the first thing to need replaced.
Best thing to do is get a chain measure tool and check it semi regularly.
If it is getting to the point of being too stretched then you can get away with changing just the chain.
If you leave it longer and keep running the stretched chain then it will eventually wear down your cassette teeth and you'll need a new cassette too.
If you leave it longer still then you will eventually prematurely wear down your chainrings also.

I have only ever done this once when I didn't know any better.

It's not an exact science but if you change your chain just at the point of being stretched (the chain tool explains when this happens) you should be able to get 2 to 3 chains before you need to change your cassette. Much longer for chainrings.

If you have neglected the whole drive train and like I did before, ridden it into the ground then you may need new chain, cassette and chainrings.
If you can give the chainrings etc a really good clean and post a photo some people may be able to see if there is any life left in them.

They go sharktoothed when they wear down but sometimes can be hard to tell.
Mine were properly sharktoothed to the point where they were sharply pointed!😐

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

Have you ever changed the chain or cassette before?

If you have neglected the whole drive train and like I did before, ridden it into the ground then you may need new chain, cassette and chainrings.
If you can give the chainrings etc a really good clean and post a photo some people may be able to see if there is any life left in them.

No i don't think it has had either, if it has it was over 4000 miles ago I had the bearings and brake pads etc changed years ago and I can't remember if he did the chain and cassette, I do remember him commenting on how badly stretched the chain was so maybe he did.

To be completely honest it may be the most neglected bike of all time when I say I have never cleaned it I am not joking its actually unbelievable, I think if I posted photos of it in its current condition it would need to be tagged as NSFW its that's offensive lol its especially bad now as I have just rode it every single day for a minimum of 10 miles from September to now which means through the entire winter of filth.

I am trying for my biggest ever week this week so after my ride tomorrow I will attempt to clean it and take some photos, I am not convinced it will come clean the build up of various chain lubes and grime over the last 11 years is pretty impenetrable.

My LBS have had it in for a few little bits recently do with the tubeless stuff and cables and they think it hilarious and struggle to believe it still works lol

I realise my neglect is finally coming back to haunt me now!

Last edited:

raggydoll

Über Member
I know it sounds boring but keeping everything clean is one of the best things you can do to keep it running well and saves you money in the long run. Also lets you see the condition of components etc.

Honestly, once you get it fixed up, try to keep on top of the cleaning and your components will last so much longer.

Especially when the chain has too much lube or isn't kept clean it picks up all the dirt and grime from the road and creates a lovely black paste which will grind away your drivetrain in no time.

I've been there and done that.
Didn't get a t-shirt though!

OP
OP
Lozi

Lozi

I also don't have the t-shirt but I do have grease all over my right leg that won't wash off lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom