Chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DODDY

Hi,

On my new FSA chainring it states 50/34T. Can I use this with a 36 ring? Why does it state the smaller ring teeth on the large chainring anyway?

Cheers

PpPete

Legendary Member
I can't think of any technical issues preventing a change from 50/34 to 50/36.
But I'm not why you would want to?

gbb

Legendary Member
You can fit up to a 40T no problem (i have on mine)...i assume 100bcd.

You may need to adjust the dogfang position on the downtube if ones fitted.

You're right doddy, mine says 50/34 origionally...cant imagine why.

gbb

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
I can't think of any technical issues preventing a change from 50/34 to 50/36.
But I'm not why you would want to?

Why ?...i live in a comparatively flat part of the UK, but they still selll compacts :biggrin: Its wholly innapropriate to have a compact.

Its a quick easy fix to get appropriate gearing for your terrain.(speaking for myself, not the OP :biggrin:)

02GF74

Über Member
DODDY said:
Hi,

On my new FSA chainring it states 50/34T. Can I use this with a 36 ring? Why does it state the smaller ring teeth on the large chainring anyway?

Cheers

I suspect it is the smallest ring that will work with the shifter in conjunction with big ring.

PpPete

Legendary Member
gbb said:
Why ?...i live in a comparatively flat part of the UK, but they still selll compacts ;) Its wholly innapropriate to have a compact.

Its a quick easy fix to get appropriate gearing for your terrain.(speaking for myself, not the OP ;))

I can see that a compact isnt necessarily the best choice for flat terrain, but how does a 2T difference to the small ring change make it that much more appropriate?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against it....I'm just interested in why?

I don't run a compact myself** but I though thought the point of them was to spend most of time on the big ring but to have the little one there as a "bail-out" option for the occasional hill/strong headwind/knackered legs at end of a long run.

[[[** OK - I admit I run a girlie triple:smile: ]]]]

Pottsy

I had a 50/34 and changed the 34 to a 36. The difference in bottom gear isn't that great but I appreciate the 'gap' between chainset rings being reduced from 16 to 14 teeth on front mech changes. I'm considering another slight increase.

gbb

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
I can see that a compact isnt necessarily the best choice for flat terrain, but how does a 2T difference to the small ring change make it that much more appropriate?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against it....I'm just interested in why?

I don't run a compact myself** but I though thought the point of them was to spend most of time on the big ring but to have the little one there as a "bail-out" option for the occasional hill/strong headwind/knackered legs at end of a long run.

[[[** OK - I admit I run a girlie triple:smile: ]]]]

Ah' I see what you're getting at now :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Pottsy said:
I had a 50/34 and changed the 34 to a 36. The difference in bottom gear isn't that great but I appreciate the 'gap' between chainset rings being reduced from 16 to 14 teeth on front mech changes. I'm considering another slight increase.
Same here. I hated 50/34 and the change to 36 made the bike much nicer to use.

Tynan

Veteran
I suspect I must use the gears wrong on mine, it's a double but I've only ever used the smaller ring on Ditching Beacon, once

granted I live in London and have a flatish route, 10 gears is plenty for day to day riding surely, granted the other for serious hills

Top Bottom