Chainset and BB Selection?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
This is probably really dense but I'm looking at a new chainset and BB, specifically a Shimano 105 5603 triple and a Hope road steel BB. The rest of the drivetrain, and the shifters, are from the 105 5700 series. So:-

firstly the Hope BB - is there any reason not to buy the road specific one, other than the ability to use on a non road bike at a later date?

secondly - will the 5600 chainset work ok with the 5700 series stuff? I can't see why not, it's all 10 speed etc but the Shimano tech docs all seem to recommend within series now.

secondly - will the 5600 chainset work ok with the 5700 series stuff? I can't see why not, it's all 10 speed etc but the Shimano tech docs all seem to recommend within series now.
If its any help my 5700 rear deraileur works fine with my 5600 shifters.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

If its any help my 5700 rear deraileur works fine with my 5600 shifters.

that is good to know actually...it must work...I've currently got a trekking chainset 48/36/26 FC M431 square taper working with all the 105 drivetrain stuff...just made sure I used a BB axle length to get the 45mm chainline and dropped the FD slightly.

lpretro1

I think the spacers on the road version are different to the mtb one - 1mm v 2.5mm? Check with Hope direct?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

I think the spacers on the road version are different to the mtb one - 1mm v 2.5mm? Check with Hope direct?

Yep, I think I'll need to just to make sure...I did download their tech doc on installation of the road one but I'd want to be certain before shelling out the dosh....thanks

Top Bottom