Chainset / drive chain worn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zebar00n

Morning CycleChat!

Long time lurker here but have learned and enjoyed lots of what I've read.

Just some advice really, my commuter (Specialized Crosstrail) has been slipping on the chain when torque applied. On further inspection I've found that the chainset sprockets are in a bad way:
2013-11-06%2007.52.53.jpg

Here's the Chainset:
2013-11-06%2007.52.16.jpg

I know I should be looking after my bike more, I've had a good slap round the face by a friend for not running maintenance sooner or at all! I tend to just change the brake pads and the tyres (Marathon plus).

So what's the way ahead? Do I need to change the whole chainset including the arms?
Any specific tools?

Thanks anyone for any advice!

uclown2002

Guru
How about giving the drive train a good clean and see whether problem persists.

OP
OP
Z

zebar00n

Thanks for the reply - do you think the teeth are overly worn? It looks to me like they're misshapen on one side

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @zebar00n and :welcome:

It definitely looks like you've had your moneys worth out of that! Time for replacement!:thumbsup:

What age of Crosstrail is it and how many teeth are on each chainring? Standard on the current triple chainring Crosstrails are 48/38/28 teeth on the basic model and 48/36/26 on the higher spec ones. As it's a 5 arm chainset which isn't currently common in those sizes, it may be a different set up still.

Those are replaceable chainrings, however you need to know what the bolt circle diameter is to know what size are required. From the photo, the middle and large rings need replacement but the small probably doesn't. The rings you'll need typically cost between £10 and £20 each depending on size and material.

It might be simpler to replace the whole chainset with something like this: Link.

You will also need a new chain (I'd recommend a KMC one) and cassette/freewheel (depending on what is currently fitted).
If the bike really hasn't had any maintenance apart from tyres & brake blocks, I'd suggest fitting a new bottom bracket with a new crankset as it'll likely need replacing soon, if it isn't already worn out.

Special tools needed are: 8mm allen key, pedal spanner, crank extractor, bottom bracket tool, cassette tool (or freewheel tool if so equipped), chain whip, and chain tool (to cut the new chain to length). I hope I haven't missed any out.:unsure:

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That is filth...

Yes they are very worn and you can replace the cogs quite easy.
Undo the nut with an Allen key, take off cog and replace. It's fairly straight forward. You just need to buy the correct cog making sure you have measured the bolt diameter.

You may need key or screwdriver to hold on the the nut at the back.

It's best to take off the bike, that way you can take apart and give it a very good clean.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Worn, more like dead and buried !! :eek:

OP
OP
Z

zebar00n

Eeek. I know i've only got my self to blame maintenance wise. I'll give the whole bike a thorough clean this weekend.

Thanks for the detail reply Rickshaw Phil! The model is Crosstrail 2011 just the standard model without Disc brakes. Pretty sure it's the basic model so 48/38/28 teeth. I'll check after work.
Hi @zebar00n and :welcome:

It definitely looks like you've had your moneys worth out of that! Time for replacement!:thumbsup:

What age of Crosstrail is it and how many teeth are on each chainring? Standard on the current triple chainring Crosstrails are 48/38/28 teeth on the basic model and 48/36/26 on the higher spec ones. As it's a 5 arm chainset which isn't currently common in those sizes, it may be a different set up still.

Is the cassette the rear sprockets?

Cheers

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Recently replaced the drivetrain on a friends equally unloved bike. In his case and in yours too I wouldn't bother trying to find and replace the individual chain rings. THIS is what I fitted to his bike (and also to my MTB upgrade recently) as at less than £16 delivered you will struggle to find chainrings for less.

It works just as well with 8spd drivetrains as well :thumbsup:

EDIT: it's dropped a couple of quid since I bought mine, at the current price I am tempted to buy one just for spares. Like I said, you can't get the chainrings for that price!

U

User6179

up
here's a camera phone pic of the casette:
2013-11-06%2007.54.05.jpg

Ah, this is embaressing. Very dirty

It is worn , some sprockets more than others but easier just to change the full cassette.
5th one up from bottom is the worst, bet you just stay in that one and change at the front all the time .

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Eeek. I know i've only got my self to blame maintenance wise. I'll give the whole bike a thorough clean this weekend.

Thanks for the detail reply Rickshaw Phil! The model is Crosstrail 2011 just the standard model without Disc brakes. Pretty sure it's the basic model so 48/38/28 teeth. I'll check after work.

Is the cassette the rear sprockets?

Cheers
Yes, that's it.:thumbsup:

Looking at the photo you've posted, it is a cassette and is quite worn in the middle gears. A new chain will just slip if fitted to that.

You'll need the cassette tool and chainwhip to remove it, plus a big spanner to fit the cassette tool.

Top Bottom