Chainset / drive chain worn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
So the shopping list as it stands:
9 speed KMC Chain £13.99
Shimano Chainset complete £15.99
Shimano cassette £12.49
Still making a list of tools. I think I have a chain whip that I used for this oil filter on the car.

Just so you're aware, the chainset you've linked to is a mountain bike one with 44/32/22 teeth, so the bike will be lower geared than it was before. This isn't a problem as you'll still have a decent highest gear but it will feel different to what you currently have.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So the shopping list as it stands:
9 speed KMC Chain £13.99
Shimano Chainset complete £15.99
Shimano cassette £12.49
Still making a list of tools. I think I have a chain whip that I used for this oil filter on the car.

Just so you're aware, the chainset you've linked to is a mountain bike one with 44/32/22 teeth

Phil is right, the gearing on the chainset I linked you to is the MTB sizes. You don't say what the original is, it may be the same.

From the picture of the cassette you posted it looks as though the larger sprockets of the cassette are covered in crud and never get used. If this is the case I suggest you opt for a smaller cassette, maybe an 11-26 or 11-23 as you will then spread the wear out by using more sprockets but still keep the front 22T granny-ring for emergencies. I also prefer Sram cassettes as IME they seem to wear better/last longer. I use the PG950 range, slightly dearer but IMO worth it.

SHIMANO do a 12-23 or 11-25

The car oil filter whip will be fine, I use an old one for my bikes.

OP
OP
Z

zebar00n

Thanks Phil and Skol,
Looks like I have 48/38/28 chainset. Don't think it'll matter too much on my *speed but just emailed chainreaction to see if they have something to match.
Spacycles have a 'touring' 48/38/28 chainset unbranded on offer for £35.

*Relative term, may not actually be going faster than 10mph!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That Spa Cycles chainset does look good for the money but on a commuting bike I wonder how long the chainrings would last being 6061 grade aluminium alloy. Unless you really want the weight saving, either of the Shimano ones linked to up the page would probably be better as the harder steel rings would last longer.

For what it's worth, I think that many of the bikes aimed at the leisure market are over geared. The average rider doesn't need a 117 inch top gear (which is taller than some racing cyclists use) and realising this, when I last refitted my Raleigh I went for a 44/32/22 chainset with an 11-30 cassette. It's now got a super low climbing gear in which I can wind my way up hills such as Asterton Bank, but I don't feel like I'm spinning out at 30mph when conditions allow (downhill with a following wind :whistle:)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, the OP will likely need a new bb of size depending on the new chainset - the bike seems to come with a 122.5mm bb originally, while both the £15.99 Shimano and Spa chainsets require shorter spindle bb's.

The bb spec in the Spa ad is likely for a road (45mm chainline) configuration. The bike requires a mtb (47.5mm or 50mm) configuration.

OP
OP
Z

zebar00n

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, the OP will likely need a new bb of size depending on the new chainset - the bike seems to come with a 122.5mm bb originally, while both the £15.99 Shimano and Spa chainsets require shorter spindle bb's.

Thanks Ace, I've added a new shimano one to the basket.

OP
OP
Z

zebar00n

Thanks for every ones input.
I had a delivery yesterday from ChainReaction
2013-11-12%2008.42.42.jpg

Gonna have to get cracking this weekend.

snorri

Legendary Member
Eeek. I know i've only got my self to blame maintenance wise. I'll give the whole bike a thorough clean this weekend.
Don't feel guilty, you bought the bike to use it, not to clean it.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Z

zebar00n

I should be getting commision on those chainsets! What cassette did you go for in the end, I can't make it out in the pic but it looks smaller?

Haha yeah I still can't really believe the price of the crankset. Thanks for the heads up!
I went for a smaller 12-26t cassette replacing the 11-32t on stock cassette. Should be ok for getting me up the hills to work.

OP
OP
Z

zebar00n

Try it and see but I prefer the 11-26 as it gives a bigger gear by around 8% on that 11T sprocket.

I see. I'll get a feel for it because this I don't know any different and see if I miss the bigger gear. 8% might be enough of a difference to frustrate.

Top Bottom