Chainset removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Certifythat

Hello what tool would I need to remove this chainset from the bottom bracket? It's a shimano sora, photos below.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's an Octalink BB which I believe is the same tool required for a square taper. Although there is a work around using the crank retaining bolt.

1629741883102.png

Hello and :welcome: to CC

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
I thought it came with a self extracting bolt? Ordinary crank pullers a wider plug to stop it going into the hole 5 pence piece rings a bell?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Certifythat Be aware when refitting that the cranks need tightening to a high setting, I think it's 50nm but check. This is because if not sufficiently tightened they are prone to becoming loose and then the the splined spindle gets to work on the soft alloy crank eventually rendering it useless. This is the reason Shimano have now discontinued the system.

Gunk

Guru
They can be an absolute bugger to remove, I’ve used a right angle plumbers spanner to slot between the crankset and frame, a long bolt, bolted into the BB, and a lump hammer.

Slight off-topic question: is it possible to remove a square taper bottom bracket and replace it with a threaded bb (such as a shimano bbr60)?
The BBR60 is part of the Shimano Hollowtech II system and only works with HT2 style cranks. The BB unit is designed to fit into a standard thread frame sames as the square taper and Octalink BB unit.

Many regard the ST as more durable and less bothersome.

The BBR60 is part of the Shimano Hollowtech II system and only works with HT2 style cranks. The BB unit is designed to fit into a standard thread frame sames as the square taper and Octalink BB unit.

Many regard the ST as more durable and less bothersome.
Thanks!

So you're saying the threads are the same and therefore it is possible to replace square taper to a BBR60. Although if I decide to do that I will of course need to change the cranks.

Great, thanks for the explanation :okay:

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks!

So you're saying the threads are the same and therefore it is possible to replace square taper to a BBR60. Although if I decide to do that I will of course need to change the cranks.

Great, thanks for the explanation :okay:
Straight swap. You just need get the correct BB width in Hollowtech. Different for road and mountain bikes.
Assuming you have British thread, even if you don't I think they also Italian.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There is a steel "mushroom" to enable use of a crank puller, TL-FC15. It used to come with an Octalink BB.

Top Bottom