Chainset upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm slowly upgrading various bits as they wear out, wheels are done, chain and cassette changed, cassette is now a veloce 10, the original chainset is an FSA Omega compact, the rings are still OK but I had to change the bottom bracket (FSA BB4000 is specific to this chainset) and when the rings do wear out I want to change it for something better.

Question is what?

SRAM Apex? Campag Veloce?

Don't know if the Apex BB uses the sdame installation tool as the FSA though (Hollowtech), as the number of "special" tools purchased seems to add up to as much as the bits you want to fit!

Front and rear mechs and levers are Campag Xenon, hopefully they'll last a few years yet, I'd appreciate some opinions on the chainset options?

Ta

Will1985

Über Member
I'm pretty sure that all cups use the same tool to tighten/remove them. I have used a Campag Ultratorque cup removal wrench to take off MegaExo and Hollowtech cups. It probably works with GXP cups as well.

In terms of other special tools, you would probably only need one for an UltraTorque spindle bolt although a long allen key can be used. Not sure how PowerTorque tightens.

GrasB

Veteran
The SRAM system is great for the chainset, you need a normal 10mm & 8mm alan key to install the cranks for the first time (for some reason SRAM don't torque down the captive bolt locking nut in the factory, it's in the right place but finger tight), after that you'll only need an 8mm allen key to install & remove the cranks.

For installation & removal of the external BB cups SRAM, Shimano & FSA use the same tool (I'm not sure about Campag). I use this it's more expensive than the Park option but as it's aluminium so if you slip you're much more likely to damage the tool rather than the cups

Top Bottom