Chainstay carbon repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi All,

After a bit of a mechanical today I noticed that the left hand chain stay on my carbon lovely had chunk out of it plus some splintering. I've no idea how and when this happened, and the fact that it's on the non-chain side is even more of a mystery. Either way, I'm not imagining it.

Reading around it looks like it could well be repaired, so I'm asking for recommendations for carbon repair shops to assess and if possible make the repair. I'm not worried about a paint job as I'll still be the ugliest thing about my bike. I can cope with a highish quote as it'll be certainly be cheaper and faster than getting a replacement frame. Somewhere in the Hampshire/South Coast area would be nice, but I also regularly travel up to the East Midlands so can also do a drop-off and pick-up anywhere in-between. I'd like to avoid posting but if necessary I'll take the hit.

So, any recommendations?

http://www.carbonfibresolutions.co.uk

This guy is excellent. Arguably the best there is.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks for the replies. Yes even you @Drago.

@Darius_Jedburgh. Thanks. I’ll email them with some pics and see what they say.

@weareHKR @Ajax Bay I'm not shy about fixing most stuff and wouldn't worry if the damage was just cosmetic but this seems to have affected the strength of the rear triangle. I’m particularly concerned about the way the fibre seems to have split along its length. I suspect it started out as a hole but, because I didn’t notice it, the repeated flexing of the stay has spread the damage into something that might let go.

This is one where I'm happy to pay for the expertise as much as the actual repair.

Top Bottom