chainstay protector removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Getting off a yellowing chainstay protector I have discoverd is not quite as easy as I imagined.
Peeled a bit loose using petrol as a solvent but the solvent wan't really making much impression on things. I moved on to methelated spirits, white spirit, percoethelene, and some other solvent which promises to remove all glue residues. (which it doesn't)
The remaining adheasive is softer but it's still there.

:idea::idea: Acetone !! Not tried that i'll see how that works. BRB.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Getting off a yellowing chainstay protector I have discoverd is not quite as easy as I imagined.
Peeled a bit loose using petrol as a solvent but the solvent wan't really making much impression on things. I moved on to methelated spirits, white spirit, percoethelene, and some other solvent which promises to remove all glue residues. (which it doesn't)
The remaining adheasive is softer but it's still there.

:idea::idea: Acetone !! Not tried that i'll see how that works. BRB.

Tried warming it gently with a hairdryer?

Is it the vinyl kind or the metallic kind from the ‘80s?

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Great for removing rubbers off table tennis bat's, but need to be a bit careful on paint work. Can you test it on your OH'S bike first or one of your old bikes.

Too late now But it didnt make any difference. ^_^

Tried warming it gently with a hairdryer?

Is it the vinyl kind or the metallic kind from the ‘80s?

Vinyl kind. I'll grab a hairdryer when no one is watching. :okay:

iluvmybike

Über Member
try a product called 'Goo gone' - its great at clearing sticky stuff - once clean rebuff with a bit of bike polish

Dadam

Great for removing rubbers off table tennis bat's, but need to be a bit careful on paint work. Can you test it on your OH'S bike first or one of your old bikes.

I have a wireless mouse that had been in a drawer for a couple of years. I'd taped the dongle to it so it didn't get lost. Couldn't shift the residue with IPA so escalated to the acetone.... it shifted the glue alright, together with the top layer of the plastic! :biggrin:

presta

Guru
I used Evo Stik thinners to remove Elastoplast sticky from the seat tube of my bike, luckily it only softened the paint, but didn't remove any of it.

Top Bottom