Chainsuck, and how to counter it, suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So according to Sheldon in stock form 22/32/44 with 11 - 32 cassette, with my mud tyres on, the HT Pro has a gear range of 18"- 103" Changing to 2 x 9 22/32 makes that 18" - 75" which only shaves off the the top three gears. I've used these for only a few minutes in the life of the bike!

Going 26/36 gives a range of 21" - 84" and 24/36 will give me 19" - 84"

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
36/22 and an 11-32 at the back!
shift quality ok? ok with triple mech? ok with double mech?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I bit the bullet and found a new /other double front mech on ebay which is designed to shift 36/22 . I can't see why a triple wouldn't shift perfectly happily, as long as you used the granny to middle indexing on the shifter and set the limit screw to stop overshifting. However, if this is for the nerve don't you have direct mount front? In which case you need to get a mech to suit. You can't adjust the height by more than 5mm or so. Depending on whether you get XT or new SLX may also dictate the acceptable front chainring.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I bit the bullet and found a new /other double front mech on ebay which is designed to shift 36/22 . I can't see why a triple wouldn't shift perfectly happily, as long as you used the granny to middle indexing on the shifter and set the limit screw to stop overshifting. However, if this is for the nerve don't you have direct mount front? In which case you need to get a mech to suit. You can't adjust the height by more than 5mm or so. Depending on whether you get XT or new SLX may also dictate the acceptable front chainring.
Nerve stays as is. Boardman becoming the winter bike.... so yer, plan is to use 1 and 2 positions on X0 gripshift and screw the mech down so it can't get into big ring space, except for trimming.

I've got my eye on a couple of X0 2xN front mech's on fleabay. I guess in theory the rear mech could go medium cage too? But that is quite spendy.

airbrake

I've noticed a few things causing / contributing to chain suck.

Burred teeth on the chainrings - load on the teeth causes the material to spread out sideways which hooks the chain (you can remove these burrs with good needle files or small sharpening stones).

A sticky derailleur - gummed up or damaged rear mechs can't maintain good chain tension which helps to prevent the chain riding up the 'ring. Likewise, a derailleur with weak spring(s) doesn't help. If you've accidentally got the chain a little on the long side when fitting a new one, your chain tension is reduced also.

Gritty, dirty chain (stay clear of wet lubes unless you are on the road - and even then use sparingly).

02GF74

Über Member
I've noticed a few things causing / contributing to chain suck.

A sticky derailleur - gummed up or damaged rear mechs can't maintain good chain tension which helps to prevent the chain riding up the 'ring. Likewise, a derailleur with weak spring(s) doesn't help. If you've accidentally got the chain a little on the long side when fitting a new one, your chain tension is reduced also.

interesting .... as someone who had bad case of chainsuck on Friday, this is making me wonder bout my set up. I change from 2x10 11-36 to 2x9 11-34 and fitted medium case mech at same time - I am wondering of the mech is not putting enough tension on the chain (I did not shorten the chain)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
interesting .... as someone who had bad case of chainsuck on Friday, this is making me wonder bout my set up. I change from 2x10 11-36 to 2x9 11-34 and fitted medium case mech at same time - I am wondering of the mech is not putting enough tension on the chain (I did not shorten the chain)
Regressive. You'll die for sure.

02GF74

Über Member
maybe but I'll die richer - 10 spd stuff is more expensive than 9 sp. I was happy with 8 speed cassettes, more than enough gears for me.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It's funny, you don't hear much about chainsuck these days. I assumed it was a '90s thing that went away.

I've never experienced it, personally. Are some bikes just more prone to it than others? Has anybody ever studied it scientifically to determine its cause? Does it tend to manifest itself with new components or worn?

Drago

Legendary Member
Check the chain is the correct length - too long and the mech won't keep sufficient tension on the lower run of chain.

SRAM have just released some very expensive front rings that eliminate this problem. Word us theyre awesome, but as they're intended for use the new 11 speed set up also cery expensive. Cheaper X0 and X9 versions are supposed to be on their way.

lukesdad

my solution to the problem and many others 36 front ring guides made from older larger rings modelled on Lukes bike behind, Greg you use a fixed on the road time you saw the light off road ^_^
4jrqm0.jpg

Top Bottom