Chamois cream alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Good evening.

A gentleman in a sharp suit told me to try using this Lanacane anti-chafing gel as an alternative to Assos chamois cream.
He says all the creams are too thick and squidgy, the Lanacane is supposed to build an invisible barrier between pad and bum.
Should I trust this guy? Anybody tried this instead of traditional creams??

Attachments

• 752A61D5-474E-4260-90D3-EBF163DE790A.png
    752A61D5-474E-4260-90D3-EBF163DE790A.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 106

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a snake oil salesman to me.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Any moisturising cream works for most people. I use sudo creme on a long and hot ride day which also has the antiseptic qualities and a tub lasts for ever. Even E45 cheap as chips will be good enough.
A few have mentioned the Sudocrem. I don’t like it’s texture or smell really. I have lots of E45 in.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A few have mentioned the Sudocrem. I don’t like it’s texture or smell really. I have lots of E45 in.

I know what you mean about the sudo creme but I think it is the best due to it being antiseptic and long lasting once applied.

Also if the texture and smell is a problem after application I suspect that's not your bum it's on .....:whistle:

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I tend to use Assos whilst cycling & sudo when off the bike if needed. I've tried other creams on various folks recommendations but I tend to prefer Assos. Never tried Sudo for cycling, might be worth a go at less than half the price :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Don't use any cream at all

You can smell stuff on your **** ?

In truth I have never understood the need for these creams on rides.

I thought they dated from a time when folk had to ensure that the traditional shammy, as opposed to synthetic pad, retained its "just off the animal" properties. Have even heard of some folk experiencing a bad reaction to assos cream. To much amusement.

If a ride causes issues, no harm applying stuff afterwards.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
In truth I have never understood the need for these creams on rides.

I used to be the same, but after an unpleasant experience on a long (100 miles) ride I decided that maybe I should start using some :blush: I'd done long rides before with no issue, but 2015 I rode every day, so the increased mileage must have increased the chaffing. I'd rather pay a few quid for a pot of cream every month or so just to be on the safe side now, riding with saddle sores isnt much fun ;)

Top Bottom