Chamois cream alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
@Joffey

You are Marlon Brando AICMFP.:whistle:

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
In the olden days, some riders were of the opinion that using cream softened the skin on the rear and no cream should be used, so that the skin on the rear hardened and formed callouses....

rrarider

Veteran
As a cyclist who still owns and wears a couple of pairs of traditional shorts with an insert made from a piece of goatskin, I'm fairly sure that the chamois cream was mainly lanolin. I still have a small quantity of chamois cream bought long ago. I use a little bit sometimes but quite often just make sure that the leather is slightly damp. Anyone who has used a genuine chamois leather to clean windows or a car, knows how hard it can get when dry. I gave up a long while ago in trying to educate the 12 year olds who work in a well known bike store, that chamois isn't a bit of blue plastic, but is in fact a piece from a dead animal.

normgow

Guru
Back in the day when our shorts had chamois leather inserts, a favourite lubricant was "Nupercainal" which was antiseptic and analgesic because it also contained novocaine which had a numbing effect. Its real use was for the treatment of haemorrhoids but was also recommended in cases of premature ejaculation.
At the time, I'm talking about the 1960s, this could be bought over the counter at any chemists.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You're a bad man. Ych a fi !

Had to Google that.:smile:

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I can’t be young donkeyd with such things usually as I do lots of 2 hour rides. However with one coming up which may take between 8-9 hours, need to be prepared for the worst.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Back in the day when our shorts had chamois leather inserts, a favourite lubricant was "Nupercainal" which was antiseptic and analgesic because it also contained novocaine which had a numbing effect. Its real use was for the treatment of haemorrhoids but was also recommended in cases of premature ejaculation.
At the time, I'm talking about the 1960s, this could be bought over the counter at any chemists.

Germoloids was another fav for the numbing effect.........it still contains Lidocaine, but the old stuff seemed stronger.
IDShot_540x540.jpg

kipster

Guru
Battles udder cream, used on cows, no ill effects on me, half the price of chamois creams. Doesn't smell great but so what no ones sniffing it :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This is a serious train of thought. The head coach of TrainerRoad doesn’t think it should be used either. His opinion is that it should be used ONLY IF there is a problem.

That said, I use Bristol Butt’r which is good and you don't need to use much.

Did not use on LEL , did not use on PBP. Simply do not use it. I carry a small tub of vaseline in case any rubbing does start up. I find getting out the saddle on hills is usually enough to let the chamois dry if I am wearing padded shorts. Though I often do not use padded shorts, just wearing normal shorts with merino underneath.

Top Bottom