Chamois Cream and Thrush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seeking advice from ladies here.....
My Fiancee is new to cycling and keen to get as much done this year as possible. She's developed soreness in her nethers from the saddle and I've suggested she start using a chamois cream. Unfortunately, she is prone to Thrush, and is concerned that using anything other than Aqueous Cream will cause a flare up. Are there any products out there I can' point her toward?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Aqueous creme is fine to use - it's also much cheaper than the branded stuff. I use it or E45 !

Ningishzidda

Shammy cream was formulated to apply to soft leather items and was adopted by cyclists to soften the patch inside bike shorts after it had been washed.

AFAIK, its not medicated. AFAIK, its made of the drippings from abattoirs.

How many hours is she cycling for? I would look at shorts and saddle before adding chamois cream. Anything, including aqueous cream, contributes to the "warm, moist" atmosphere that is friendly to thrush.

I use a chamois cream I mixed myself, which is a mix of aqueous and emollient creams with tea oil and witch hazel. I'd imagine that would be better than plain aqueous cream, but I'm not an expert.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Shammy creams these days are more likely to be based around Shea butter with an anti fungal additive such as rosemary extract, they have a lot in common with swmbos moisturising face/body creams

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is she using a very soft padded saddle? That will rub and make her sweat. She'd be better off with a clean dry synthetic pad in some good shorts like dhb from Wiggle and the right shape of saddle like a Specalized BG for women.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
First of all, I use sudocrem as a chamois cream, and I know some women use it as emergency relief for thrush. :thumbsup:

Secondly, when you say "in her nethers", do you mean around the labia and clitoris, or further back around the vaginal opening? If it's the former, definitely look at the design of the saddle. Some women prefer/require cut outs, others find that this leads to more problems than it solves, entirely depending on the shape and size of the labia, especially the labia minora. If her vulva doesn't suit the saddle, no amount of cream will help.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
First of all, I use sudocrem as a chamois cream, and I know some women use it as emergency relief for thrush. :thumbsup:

Secondly, when you say "in her nethers", do you mean around the labia and clitoris, or further back around the vaginal opening? If it's the former, definitely look at the design of the saddle. Some women prefer/require cut outs, others find that this leads to more problems than it solves, entirely depending on the shape and size of the labia, especially the labia minora. If her vulva doesn't suit the saddle, no amount of cream will help.

You may have just scared off half the male population there!!! :biggrin:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Lol...there is some real fun to be had on this subject!!!
<rant>
(a) It's ALL soft, from the labia to the gluteal muscles. :rolleyes:
(b) If you're too prudish to say vulva then you shouldn't be making money from a product that gets so up and personal with it.
(c) The terrifying alternative is that you don't know the difference between the labia and the intergluteal cleft, in which case you should be in a different career. Or back in full-time education.
<and breathe>

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
<rant>
(a) It's ALL soft, from the labia to the gluteal muscles. :rolleyes:
(b) If you're too prudish to say vulva then you shouldn't be making money from a product that gets so up and personal with it.
(c) The terrifying alternative is that you don't know the difference between the labia and the intergluteal cleft, in which case you should be in a different career. Or back in full-time education.
<and breathe>

Is intergluteal cleft posh talk for butt crack??? ;-)

Top Bottom