Chamois Cream and Thrush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Where do you keep your bitt crack? :ohmy::giggle:

Lol I didn't edit that quickly enough!!! Honestly...do you not know where your bitt crack is??? You know nothing!!! ;)

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
On a related note, I'm looking at a map of the Mendips. On Sunday, I should be cycling near Velvet Bottom :laugh:

ayceejay

Guru
There are a number of web-sites devoted to this problem for women with recommendation for shorts etc. There is virtually nada for men as I recently found out (see "hygiene" on this site), men can also suffer from thrush; ask me how I know.
You must look elsewhere for a cure but as my doctor said cycling shorts are not the cause but they certainly don't help. Avoid ANY cream wear good quality clothing that you wash after every ride (wash all the anatomically explicit items mentioned above as well).

buggi

Bird Saviour
is it soreness or bruising? there is a difference.

1. If it's bruising (ie if it hurts when you press it) it could be her saddle is too small so she's not sitting on her sit bones, but the soft tissue in between. Get the bike shop to measure her pelvic sit bones and get a saddle wide enough for them (this was my problem and i put up with it for years without realising... can't tell you what a difference an inch makes (oo-er)!

2. If it's soreness (chaffing) then this could be caused by (a) too big a saddle or (b) not soft enough pad in her shorts, or (c) simply just not being used to being in a saddle. If (a) see point 1 above, same principal applies, if (b) get some nice shorts or if (c) she will get used to it, but to relieve it in the meantime Aqueous or Sudocrem will be fine. I use sudocrem and never got thrush from it, but i'm not really prone to thrush anyway. I actually find on my Paris trip, that using a cream while riding just makes the rubbing worse, so i used the cream after each day had finished. (i don't need it now, like i said, she'll get used to it).

Thanks everyone for the replies... I showed her this thread and she reckons the laughter has cured her pain! She has dhb bib-3/4s with a synthetic pad, and it's likely more than anything that it's simply that she's not used to spending so long in the saddle (our last couple of rides have been 5 hours and 1 1/2 hours). We'll monitor it, and use Sudocrem or Aqueous Sol after the rides. The bike is a Dawes Karakum, and I although it has a women specific saddle, I am not sure what make/model it is. If it continues to be a problem for her, I'll look at changing it for something more bespoke.
Cheers
Paul W

bubbles3

is it soreness or bruising? there is a difference.

1. If it's bruising (ie if it hurts when you press it) it could be her saddle is too small so she's not sitting on her sit bones, but the soft tissue in between. Get the bike shop to measure her pelvic sit bones and get a saddle wide enough for them (this was my problem and i put up with it for years without realising... can't tell you what a difference an inch makes (oo-er)!

2. If it's soreness (chaffing) then this could be caused by (a) too big a saddle or (b) not soft enough pad in her shorts, or (c) simply just not being used to being in a saddle. If (a) see point 1 above, same principal applies, if (b) get some nice shorts or if (c) she will get used to it, but to relieve it in the meantime Aqueous or Sudocrem will be fine. I use sudocrem and never got thrush from it, but i'm not really prone to thrush anyway. I actually find on my Paris trip, that using a cream while riding just makes the rubbing worse, so i used the cream after each day had finished. (i don't need it now, like i said, she'll get used to it).

I'm just after reading your post and I'm interested in your thinking. I've been cycling for about 3 years but I've been having major issues with bruising this year, I haven't changed my saddle or it's position. I bought a new pair of expensive cycling shorts as my favourite pair had worn out. the padding seemed firmer than in my older shorts but I thought it would soften in time. but by the end of the summer there I was in real pain after my long weekend rides. I've had a forced few weeks of because of surgery and thankfully now back on my bike for the past 2 days. I didn't have my shorts on but my long leg bib tights I've used many times and today after little more than an hour I'm sore again. Where have I gone wrong? Could I have unconsciously changed the position I sit on the bike this year from last? I don't use any cream when I'm out on the bike and came back to this forum to see if chamois cream would help. Any help or ideas will be appreciated

Top Bottom