champagne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Absolutely old chap. I find that the pinkers goes so well wiv me fish fingers.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
of course champagne is just a name for fizzy wine from a particular part of france, the name itself being protected by law (how french). the aussies have got some good stuff, and the chandon winery in victoria produces some belting method champanoise fizz, even a nice red.

as such i can't remember actually buying champagne, although there's been a bottle in the house on odd occasions. when i buy fizz, it's usually aussie or spanish.

Melvil

Pete said:
I seem to recall that, as an Oxford student, I was obliged - nay, required - to contribute a bottle of Moet & Chandon to the post-exams p!ss-up. A very strange custom, peculiar to Oxford I believe :eek::tongue:. I was young and innocent and thought it advisable to 'go along with the flow'. Mind you, it cost me a lot less in those days, about 30/- I think. Don't think I've bought any of the 'genuine' article since then.

But we had a very nice bottle of the local sparkling wine a few days ago for Xmas - local, that is, to us here in Sussex, the Ridgeview vineyard near Ditchling, almost on our back door. And very nice it was too - not cheap mind you! I believe you can get it from our local Waitrose.

Oh yes, remember that tradition - though for a 'refined soul' like myself, a bottle of Verve Clicquot was far more enjoyable, especially coupled with a massive Romeo y Julieta cigar that lasted me all afternoon and well into the 'nightclub' stage of the proceedings. And I am SOOO glad I didn't get a flour bomb thrown in my general direction!

gavintc

Guru
dangerousjules said:
me and the mrs cracked open a bottle of 1995 vintage dom p at the new year...yup i did'nt buy it either an enthusiastic boss gave it to me!

Of all the bubbles, I have ever drunk, Dom P is the only one that I actually noticed was better than Cava - much better. We occasionally drink Champers, but my budget limit is £30 a bottle, and I am always slightly disappointed that it is not 'wow' just OK. I can taste a difference in a malt over a blend and the cost differential is smaller. I am coming to believe that either my pallete is shot or the mid price bubbles - Moet (et al) are a bit overpriced.

jonesy

Guru
Melvil said:
Oh yes, remember that tradition - though for a 'refined soul' like myself, a bottle of Verve Clicquot was far more enjoyable, especially coupled with a massive Romeo y Julieta cigar that lasted me all afternoon and well into the 'nightclub' stage of the proceedings. And I am SOOO glad I didn't get a flour bomb thrown in my general direction!

Don't remember any champagne tradition, though I do (just about..) remember a long session in the Folly Bridge. Did rather badly in my last exam, so it was more of a drowning-sorrows session than a celebration, so champagne wouldn't really have been appropriate. :eek: There were flour bombs though.

Melvil

gavintc said:
Of all the bubbles, I have ever drunk, Dom P is the only one that I actually noticed was better than Cava - much better. We occasionally drink Champers, but my budget limit is £30 a bottle, and I am always slightly disappointed that it is not 'wow' just OK. I can taste a difference in a malt over a blend and the cost differential is smaller. I am coming to believe that either my pallete is shot or the mid price bubbles - Moet (et al) are a bit overpriced.

Perhaps so - BTW (at the risk of going OT) - what's your favourite single malt?

Melvil

mjones said:
Don't remember any champagne tradition, though I do (just about..) remember a long session in the Folly Bridge. Did rather badly in my last exam, so it was more of a drowning-sorrows session than a celebration, so champagne wouldn't really have been appropriate. :eek: There were flour bombs though.

Big ones that made the bulldogs growl and run after you?

gavintc

Guru
Melvil said:
Perhaps so - BTW (at the risk of going OT) - what's your favourite single malt?

I like an Islay - Bowmore or Lagavulin. I find Laphroiag a little too strong. But, I will drink anything and often take a dram from a bottle of Grants we keep for cooking.

jonesy

Guru
Melvil said:
Big ones that made the bulldogs growl and run after you?

No, it was a well targeted smart bomb that only got me. They also poured a glass of beer over me in the Folly, which made a rather disgusting combination with the flour!

Melvil

gavintc said:
I like an Islay - Bowmore or Lagavulin. I find Laphroiag a little too strong. But, I will drink anything and often take a dram from a bottle of Grants we keep for cooking.

Ditto Laphroaig - bit too astringent, I know people that absolutely adore it but I think I'll stick to a nice nip of Highland Park...mmmmm.

jonesy

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
shouldn't you lot be in soapbox bashing the oiks?

Most of the 'oiks' only post during the working day; being public sector workers that's when they've got the free time! :eek:

Top Bottom