Change from standard to compact chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thefensman

thefensman

Band on is good because you can adjust the height of the whole thing if you need to - e.g. if both chain wheels are smaller.

You need to take into account the total capacity of your rear mech.

Total capacity = (No teeth on big cog in cassette - No teeth on small cog in cassette) + (No. teeth on big chain ring - No. teeth on small chain ring)

At the moment your set up needs a capacity of (25-12(?)) +(52-42) = 13+10 = 23

If you put the other cassette on you will need a capacity of (34-11)+(52-42) = 23+10 = 33

If you use the other cassette and get a compact you will need a capacity of (34-11) + (50-34) = 23+16 = 39

The total capacity of your rear dérailleur should be marked on it somewhere - 33 might be too much if it's a short cage one.
hi and sorry to bother you again, been reading your post again and its like a little lights gone on in my head kinda like a eureka moment and things are much clearer regarding gearing, but when you say "short cage" is that a reference to the jockey wheel assembly?

KneesUp

Guru
hi and sorry to bother you again, been reading your post again and its like a little lights gone on in my head kinda like a eureka moment and things are much clearer regarding gearing, but when you say "short cage" is that a reference to the jockey wheel assembly?
You've got it.

long_or_short_cage_for_derailleur.jpg

oldroadman

Veteran
Why not just change the chainrings to 50/34 (the standard compact size)? Then 34x25 will give you a bottom gear that will get you over anything. Keep it simple, just check that the rear mech can take a spread large enough. If you are running an 11-25 cassette, plus compact rings, this is 30 teeth total capacity. Quite simple!
50x11 (or even 12) is bigger than the gears we used to race on a few years back, so you'll be fine for descending at speed too.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
This is a suggestion that often crops up...
A standard road double won't take a 34T inner ring - you need a compact chainset for a 34T chainring.

OP
OP
thefensman

thefensman

Hi guys and thanks for your suggestions. Changing chain rings was my first idea but as jay clock says compact rings wont fit standard crank spiders, due to BCD which at the moment I cant recall anything about but I did research it before my first post. The way I see it as things stand if I fit a new compact crank set and bb and retain my existing cassette will I see any benefits in my climb gearing or do I need to swap cassette also. It just seems to me things are becoming very complicated, and I mean no disrespect to all of you that have posted on this thread. In my head I keep returning to my mtb and the ease that I have climbing with that running 8 speed compact. And it weighs in like a tank in comparison to my road bike. Forgot to add, new chainset i,m considering is 50/34.

Last edited:
BCD (google it)
Despite finding this new Google It thing bloody rude, and to save others the bother, I did and found all these and many more

BCD: Binary Coded Decimal
BCD: Buoyancy Control Device
BCD: Boot Configuration Data
BCD: Behind Closed Doors

After Googling 'Acronym BCD' finally 12th down in a list of acronyms BCD: Bolt Centre Diameter

uclown2002

Guru
Despite finding this new Google It thing bloody rude, and to save others the bother, I did and found all these and many more

BCD: Binary Coded Decimal
BCD: Buoyancy Control Device
BCD: Boot Configuration Data
BCD: Behind Closed Doors

After Googling 'Acronym BCD' finally 12th down in a list of acronyms BCD: Bolt Centre Diameter

Sometimes you need to be more specific; google 'BCD bike' for example.

oldroadman

Veteran
Here's a thought - which might be more economical - 38x27 is very close to 34x25 (1.41 v. 1.36). Amending the lower end sprockets would be cheaper and easier than a whole new chainset, and you could still run 38/50 rings.

Top Bottom