Change of casette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-s

I'm getting back into cycling and will soon be getting a shiny new bianchi via nirone 7 with the tiara gear. However, I fear the supplied compact gearset may be a real struggle for me until I'm in better shape. I'm currently doing a little riding on an old mtb and reluctantly admit resorting to the granny ring at a few points on a few hills. I don't need anything quite as low as it can go, but after running a few 'gear inch' sums, I think something like the ultegra 6700 11/28 cassette would be a significant help whilst I get back some sort of fitness.

Can this be fitted as a direct replacement on it's own or will it require other changes? I only chose that cassette as it sounded the most compatible being shimano and 10 speed and having more teeth.

I'm going to work out which gear on the mtb equates to the same 'inch' as the lowest on the bianchi and try these hills to see how I get on in the meantime.

Advice appreciated

Chris

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, if the Bianchi has Tiagra gearing then you'll need a 9 speed cassette, not 10 speed.
But yes, by-and-large Shimano stuff is interchangeable, so get a cassette with the correct number of speeds and a 28T large sprocket, and you should be fine. Get the bike shop to do the change when you buy the bike - no sense in buying tools before you need to.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Thanks for the replies. You're right of course, the bianchi will be lighter and perhaps the worst of the rises is just made worse since it has a narrow 90 degree entrance at the bottom meaning you can carry no speed into it and then ends with another 90 degree dog leg over a railway bridge.

If I do opt for it I'll get the lbs to fit it when the build the bike.

Thanks

Chris

GrasB

Veteran
You need a 9 speed cassette not a 10 speed cassette. This means you should to use some MTB cassettes.
Talk to the bike supplier about swapping the cassette. Don't discount the SRAM cassettes, they sometimes have different tooth combinations in the middle of the cassette which may give a smoother progression through the gears. If the shop attendant is knowledgeable they will be able to work out what's better for you.

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Thanks again guys. Now I know it's feasible I'll have a chat with the bike shop, they're pretty competent.

Chris

OP
OP
C

chris-s

Well, I went out this morning and did 'my killer' on a 33.8 inch chain with quite a bit of cussing. The standard 25T on the bianchi would give me 36 inches, there is no way I could manage it on that one at the moment. A 28T sprocket would give me 32 inches which means I'll still have something left at the top. I'll pay a visit to the lbs tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris

Chrisc

Guru
Well, I went out this morning and did 'my killer' on a 33.8 inch chain with quite a bit of cussing. The standard 25T on the bianchi would give me 36 inches, there is no way I could manage it on that one at the moment. A 28T sprocket would give me 32 inches which means I'll still have something left at the top. I'll pay a visit to the lbs tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris

I was in the same boat 3 months ago when I got my Nirone (campag). Being used to a 30" bottom gear on my 22kg dutch bike I was concerned and thinking about a different cassette at the time of buying.
But the 36.7" bottom gear on the Nirone is plenty even up here in the Pennines and I hardly use the 34 chain ring any longer so am glad I stuck with the 12-25 now as I'd be swapping it back. If you do get the shop to swap for you keep the original for when you get stronger. Speaking of the hills, it's time for a ride!

Top Bottom