Changed rear tyre, now chain rubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danjanoob

Hello people, i changed the rear tyre on my triban3 the other day and had a bit of difficulty getting the rear wheel back on but finally got it after doing some funny things with my fingers.

Now the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur, on almost every gear. It is especially exaggerated when I really put some force into my pedalling. Is there anything obvious i could have messed up and can adjust?

I bought the bike two months ago in decathlon, lakeside. Im at work near london bridge so can run the bike to decathlon, surray quays, but will they look at it for free as ive not had it long? Or will it need to go to lakeside?

Cheers.

Have you tried changing gears yet? It could just be that you have the chain crossed which would cause it to rub. So if you had the chain on the largest ring at the front & largest cog at the rear it can cause the chain to rub. I have found that making sure the chain is on the smallest cog at the back makes removing & replacing the rear wheel easier on my Triban 3

If it still rubs after changing gear, or you have already tried that, then post back... it may be that you are simply now noticing the chain rub and your front cable has stretched, which they do over time & use and is perfectly normal.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There is a a more worrying possibility: Triban 3's derailleur tab is quite far forward and when you fit a deeper profile tyre, the tyre comes up against the chainstay bridge and prevents the axle from passing the tab on its way into the dropout. If you really wellied it, there is a small possibility that you bent the derailleur tab but that would become apparent in dodgy and irregular rear shifting.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Easy way to tell if the wheel is not in correctly is look at the brake pads, if they aren't sitting on the rim correctly then undo the quick release and re drop the wheel back in place.

OP
OP
danjanoob

danjanoob

Just to conclude this, i took the bike to decathlon on my lunch break (surray quays) with no receipt, just my points card. The mechanic really liked what i'd done with my bike and said i'd been looking after it really well as it looked brand new after a few months. He got the gears all set up for me no questions asked, and theyre even smoother than new. Perfect. Thanks so much, Decathlon.

OP
OP
danjanoob

danjanoob

He could tell that i had been fiddling with it and i just told him the chain was rubbing horribly so i had a go myself. He then simply started from scratch calibrating the gears.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Decathlon mechanics are very good, agreed.

dodd82

Hi guys

I have this problem after my first puncture repair last night.

Can you explain what I need to do, but word it as an idiots guide?

Thanks

Top Bottom