Changed tires on Road bike, but only getting 65psi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello i Have a Carrera TDF Road BIke. (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_810707_langId_-1_categoryId_165710)

I have had a few punctures recently so thought i would read the reviews of the bike and it appears the tyres are not that great so have purchased some Continental Gatorskin tyres and Continental inner tubes to go with them. They are 700x23. Although i read these were a nightmare to fit i found they went on fairly easily.

Now my question is, with the new tyres and inner tubes is that when i pump im only getting about 65psi and no where near the recommended 100psi.

The tyres feel solid and felt fine to cycle on but i was wondering if this pressure would sound right? fairly new to cycle maintenance so dont really have any idea. The old ones pumped to 100psi no problem.

Any advice or suggestions is much appreciated. Thank you

Tim Hall

What pump are you using? How are you measuring the pressure?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
+1 the above poster

Assuming your pump isn't at fault:
Make sure the tyres are seated on the rim correctly, ensure the tubes haven't been damaged when fitting or removing tyres. Ensure the tube isn't trapped between the rim and the tyre bead, this could cause the tube to burst with a very loud bang if you keep pumping.

OP
OP
C

Carlo Mullen

Regular
+1 the above poster

Assuming your pump isn't at fault:
Make sure the tyres are seated on the rim correctly, ensure the tubes haven't been damaged when fitting or removing tyres. Ensure the tube isn't trapped between the rim and the tyre bead, this could cause the tube to burst with a very loud bang if you keep pumping.

Everything was fitted correctly and then rechecked multiple times

OP
OP
C

Carlo Mullen

Regular
Give it some welly!
ha ha, have been but after a few popped inner tubes, bit reluctant to go any further

DWiggy

Über Member
You need a track pump I get 120psi in my gatorskins but you have to put your weight behind the last 10psi! :pump:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another thing to check- make sure the lockring at the base of the valve is tight on the rim. With a decent track pump, and you've got one, it won't take long to get it up to pressure. When the lockring's loose it's rather harder if not impossible.

Top Bottom