Changeing 'villages' - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
And us and the house ^_^

me too, paid cash for me house and car

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Reliability and quality aside ( :whistle: ), I always thought that the Allegro had a certain style about it simply because it looked different and also you can't mistake it for anything else.

It amuses me to see people moving to the country for a ‘village life’, then turning the place into a car park :-)
Nothing amuses me more than the folk who can't get about by bike, because they live in a "rural" place (most likely through choice) and depend on cars. If I were a benevolent dictator, I'd say if they can't get to work by bike, either they should have a career change to local farm hand or move back within cycling distance of a city. The energy crises, which will make current supply chain woes seem like a comparatively well oiled machine, will force their hands sooner or later. As the great John Michael Greer puts it, 'Collapse now, and avoid the rush'.

Last edited:
Back when I were a lad, going into town meant the local market town such as Swaffham Fakenham, Cromer, Diss, Bungay etc. Most villages were an easy bike ride from the local market town.
These days the attractions of Roys of Woxham are not enough and modern day villagers crave the pace, glamour and excitement of Norwich. Out of bicycle range for all but the keenest.

Nothing amuses me more than the folk who can't get about by bike, because they live in a "rural" place (most likely through choice) and depend on cars. If I were a benevolent dictator, I'd say if they can't get to work by bike, either they should have a career change to local farm hand or move back within cycling distance of a city. The energy crises, which will make current supply chain woes seem like a comparatively well oiled machine, will force their hands sooner or later. As the great John Michael Greer puts it, 'Collapse now, and avoid the rush'.
I'm always amazed at the long distance commutes that some people sign up to.

The worst I saw was a bloke who worked in the City of London but lived on a farm outside Inverness. He'd get the sleeper down on a Sunday night and back on a Friday night.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm always amazed at the long distance commutes that some people sign up to.

The worst I saw was a bloke who worked in the City of London but lived on a farm outside Inverness. He'd get the sleeper down on a Sunday night and back on a Friday night.
Not quite that far, but there was a time when I worked as an IT contractor, when I often took contracts that meant staying away from home during the week. I think the furthest was a contract in Kent when I lived in Merthyr Tydfil. Normally I was in any one contract for between 3 and 6 months.

Even when I went back to permanent work, my first job (which I stayed in for 7 years) was a 70 mile commute - roughly 90 minutes each way.

Now, it is just over 15 miles from the small rural village where I live, and I do cycle it (currently 2 days a week in office, 3 WFH).

The pub in the village is currently closed, but being refurbished, with a planned re-opening in a few months. There is a garage on the edge of the village which is also a general shop, the only one in the village.

slow scot

Veteran
Back in the 1970s there was a guy who worked offshore in the oil industry up here. He’d do his three weeks ”on”, then head home for his “off” weeks. He lived on an island off the coast of Western Australia!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My Dad never worked more than 3 miles from home. I didn’t realise till I was looking at online mapping in the first lockdown last year. Makes my 13 mile bike commute look long distance !

Back in the 1970s there was a guy who worked offshore in the oil industry up here. He’d do his three weeks ”on”, then head home for his “off” weeks. He lived on an island off the coast of Western Australia!
Ok. That must win.

Top Bottom