Changeing 'villages' - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Our 'village' is now legally a town. We got a town council, instead of a parish council 10 yrs ago. I moved here in early 1990, and since then 4 new build estates have been added, while a smaller, but still substantial number of terrace houses have been demolished. A fifth NB estate is awaiting a start, next year, probably!

A by-pass was opened 16 yrs ago which resulted in the butcher closing, on the same day, and several smaller shops to close or change hands over the next few years.

Since the second and third new estates were started, both now completed, shops have reopened the village/town looks more prosperous and the primary school is looking to expand, The doctors, chemists and dentists now occupy a new build Health Centre, built on land that was once a terrace of houses and just opposite there are 15 old people's bungalows, again where a terrace used to be, built in 2019 by the council. We also have a controversial biomass power station, which pays money into a community fund which the town council spends.

We were lucky enough to move from our 1880s mine built terrace, 3 up, 2 down , into a new house on estate number 3 in 2016. I wasn't born here, but I plan on leaving in a box.

There are still problem families and streets that need tidying up, where far too many of the houses are owned by absentee landlords who don't give a stuff about who their tenants upset, nor how much rubbish they dump in the back streets. But the village is a far nicer place to live, and for some, work in, we have a small industrial estate on the Western edge of the village, than it was in 1990 when the pit had closed 24 years earlier and the village had declined. Without the new builds the village would have slowly descended into a place for the old, unemployed and unemployable. As it is is seems to have a real future.

For example, the customer puts down a deposit of £5k and then pays £400 a month for 3 years. Total cost £20k. Then the leasing company takes the car back and sells it second hand for another £20k. So that's enough to buy a 35k car, and cover the finance cost and make a small profit for the leasing company.

The point is, the customer never has £35k, and never owns the car. At the end of the 36 months, they have to find another deposit and start the whole process over again.

And someone was explaining that more expensive cars have less depreciation as they hold value more so you somehow pay less for a fancier car. Seems mad eh ?

Gunk

Guru
And someone was explaining that more expensive cars have less depreciation as they hold value more so you somehow pay less for a fancier car. Seems mad eh ?

Also if you are now working from home, 5000 miles a year means the leasing costs are much lower, I’m sure many of these posh leased £40k cars are just fancy ornaments to impress the neighbours

Last edited:
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Example villages in Norfolk; the names have been deleted to prevent howls of mocking laughter - ! :rofl:
One had a good store / post office. Now just has a Chinese takeaway and a hairdressers. :wacko:
Another had two decent sized pubs and plenty of 'chimney pots' in said village. Now both pubs have been closed down for some time and there's nothing else in the village - except houses. :whistle:

I have only ever bought cars outright: either for all cash, or, when I worked in a bank some years ago, with a staff rate loan which was well below finance company rates.
I can't see myself ever getting into one of these lease type deals. But I am happy to drive a very, very plain car bought cheaply.
The comment up thread about expensive cars being ornaments to show off to the neighbours was certainly true where I used to live......

Bunny and I went to ask about buying a new car. No discount for cash, leasing arrangements is where the profit is, apparently.

Gunk

Guru
But those people with white hair and white teeth living in those tiny new homes don’t want an old Skoda Octavia on their drive

Zanelad

Guru
Their money, their choice. Quite why others fee the need to comment on the choices made by others puzzles me. Live on credit maxed to the limit or buy only what you've saved for, who else really cares? I wouldn't spend 30 grand on a car, but I would spend 20 grand on a motorbike. Cash, of course 😉

Their money, their choice. Quite why others fee the need to comment on the choices made by others puzzles me. Live on credit maxed to the limit or buy only what you've saved for, who else really cares? I wouldn't spend 30 grand on a car, but I would spend 20 grand on a motorbike. Cash, of course 😉

Anytime something done is not sensible you can expect comments. You can also expect compliments when something is done better than expected. Whether they tell you directly to your face is another thing.

Buying the worst house in the best street is a classic example. Anyone numerate will tell you that you are ahead. Yet we see houses that are overcapitalised. Big house, best materials, well designed but well below the resale value for that area. It becomes a standing monument of the house owner's intelligence or lack of it.

Majority of people however are sensible.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Some are really desperate to appear 'better' than than any subject that comes up , the good thing is by doing so they show they are not. Tickles me no end.

Top Bottom