Changes for the worse that have happened in my lifetime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
The widespread perception that riding a bike is so dangerous you need to wear a silly plastic hat just to go to school or work, or twice round the park with your kids.

I’m not trying to have that debate here. I’m just noting a change for the worse.

It depends where you live, but I wouldn’t ride in Oxford without wearing a helmet. the shrines tied to lamp posts and trees are a reminder of how dangerous it can be.

The facts are that traffic has increased over the years and safe provision for cyclists is woefully lacking.

hatler

Guru
The key piece in the OP is "The widespread perception that riding a bike is so dangerous ..."

And they have that right. It's not, it's really not.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It depends where you live, but I wouldn’t ride in Oxford without wearing a helmet. the shrines tied to lamp posts and trees are a reminder of how dangerous it can be.

The facts are that traffic has increased over the years and safe provision for cyclists is woefully lacking.
Can we at least agree that the perception of cycling as dangerous, whether justified or not, is an unwelcome development?

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I have just seen that my pretty uncontroversial comment in the main thread has been cast into the fiery pit. Bizarre.

Drago

Legendary Member
The culture of victim blaming when a car kills a cyclist who wasn't wearing a florrie/helmet/depleted uranium chobham armour. Silly us, it's clearly the cyclists fault the car ran them over.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Social meejia has given a voice to idiots.

Many people who enjoy the benefits of living in Britain disregard the rules by which we all live.

david k

Hi
The key piece in the OP is "The widespread perception that riding a bike is so dangerous ..."

And they have that right. It's not, it's really not.

It depends on context, if your riding a mountain bike on a mountain ridge, or on a very busy road with cars, vans and lorrys then it is.
It isn't the act of riding the bike, or walking, jogging etc. It's all in the context, sometimes it is a more dangerous situation than other times

david k

Hi
Social meejia has given a voice to idiots.

Many people who enjoy the benefits of living in Britain disregard the rules by which we all live.
This I fully agree, but it depends on where your own view and stance is.
If someone makes a point that aligns with your own view you support or 'like' it. If it's an alternative view you consider it ridiculous and the poster an 'idiot'.
It's not possible to stop as everyone's 'idiot' is different
The biggest issue is the platform to convince and influence some minds with emotive and misleading memes and similar.
Interesting to note that if a meme caused immediate outrage take some time to check the facts

Top Bottom