Changing a car tyre on the hard shoulder.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have to say I thought it was illegal to attempt a repair on the hard shoulder. I for one would be on the grass then on the phone.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I have sympathy for you Slick, but...

People like to argue about what’s right and what’s wrong about other people’s behaviour, try to shift blame, but it’s really just trying to mask the fact that they couldn’t give a flying fark whether you live or die.
Sadly, I couldn't agree more.

swansonj

Guru
I am amazed how many people you see waiting on the hard shoulder for assistance but downstream of their car. They probably feel a psychological protection from their car, but in terms of the physics, you really don't want to be standing in the zone any impact will propel your car into, and upstream (whilst of course at the outer edge of the hard shoulder) is surely safer.

Tin Pot

Guru
Sadly, I couldn't agree more.

Ive only had one blow out, didn’t have the space saver with me anyway, on the M11 on my way to a client.

Wasn’t sure what to do but knew I had green flag recovery, phoned them up and like others have said they told me to leave the car. That was a hair raising experience in itself, as like you say, none of the HGVs we’re shifting line at all.

It was daytime, but trudging into a muddy field was the only “safe space” in the February wind and rain. Watching HGVs hammer it within inches of my car for an hour and a half clarified any doubts I had about motorists as a whole.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I get the advice is call for assistance, but surely a simple change of attitude could reduce the risk to an acceptable level to carry out a simple repair without the need for a temporary lane closure?

I remember a notable member on here using a line whilst discussing a close pass, and it stuck with me. The traffic should react to where you are and not where they think you should be.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Ive only had one blow out, didn’t have the space saver with me anyway, on the M11 on my way to a client.

Wasn’t sure what to do but knew I had green flag recovery, phoned them up and like others have said they told me to leave the car. That was a hair raising experience in itself, as like you say, none of the HGVs we’re shifting line at all.

It was daytime, but trudging into a muddy field was the only “safe space” in the February wind and rain. Watching HGVs hammer it within inches of my car for an hour and a half clarified any doubts I had about motorists as a whole.
The boys who work on the motorways but have some horror stories to tell.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Good point. I dinnae know.
Don't think there is any, the only time I've ever seen them is when I'm over the border.

After 2 young lads last month both had to have both legs amputated after changing a tyre on a busy road near me quite frankly if I cannot do it safely away from traffic I’m not going near it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have we got wombles in Scotland, if we have it's the ninja variety as I thought they were just for south of the border.
images-1.jpg

Top Bottom