Changing a gear cable on friction gear shifter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rorytymon

Regular
I've just changed the cables on an old bike I just picked up, it uses the old style friction gear shifters and everything is working fine. The only problem is there is no runner for the cables to sit and Ive had to use some cable ties temporarily to hold them down. Any ideas for a better solution?

Thanks!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just changed the cables on an old bike I just picked up, it uses the old style friction gear shifters and everything is working fine. The only problem is there is no runner for the cables to sit and Ive had to use some cable ties temporarily to hold them down. Any ideas for a better solution?

Thanks!
These are only a couple of quid.

xAtoMCl5tGoVZpsaUpyb4UmrMfEH_xMBSJmqUY7a0&usqp=CAc.jpg

If you mean around the underside of the bottom bracket, then you can get various screw-on guides for the underside of the BB shell.

Evans do these, for example:
1588852997289.png

Is there a cable-stop on the chainstay near the rear derailleur? If so, this will determine whether the cable should run above or below the BB. If it's on the top of the chainstay, you can get nice guides that clamp onto the bottom of the downtube, just above the BB.

edit - @raleighnut beat me to it - GMTA!

12boy

Guru
You can also get old time stainless steel clamps for top and down tubes and hinged Al for a more modern look if your problem isn't routing under the BB..

Sharky

Guru
On my avatar picture, I was riding a track frame with no brazed on fittings. I even strapped on a gear hanger with just the QR holding it in place and it came off every time I took the took the wheel off.

I used chrome bands for the rear brake and just used black insulation tape for the gear cables. The outers ran the full length.
I used to call this bike a hybrid - a road/track mongrol.

A bigger photo:-

Top Bottom