Changing BB on a Giant Defy 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay, have never done this and all I can find on the spec is 'cartridge'. In later models RPM cartridge so am wondering what tools I will need and some know how. Here's a photo of the cranks...FSA Vero

http://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/photo0078-jpg.4209/

I know I will need a BB tool but is this tool universal, and will it also be suitable for my other machine, a Ribble Sportive with a SRAM groupie? I've seen some videos of this being done but they were Shimano cranks and needed a specific tool on top of the BB remover to take off the cap. I can't see any equivalent here so am presuming there is no need?

As always any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Oh, and have done around 4000 miles with this BB, so worth replacing you reckon?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hard to tell from the pic , i guess you need a crank extractor, i am guessing square taper?

http://www.parktool.com/product/crank-puller-for-square-taper-cranks-ccp-22

And a BB tool

http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-32

I would guess your ribble has an external /hollowtech BB and would need different tool s...

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks Cyberknight, think it is square tapered, you're right. Not sure it's worth doing if it's going to cost me double the money of the bracket itself but thanks anyway.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Can we ask why it needs changing. The tools and BB's are relatively cheap these days (just removed and cleaned my shimano BB with the corresponding Park tool), and pretty easy to do yourself - if I can, you can, but make sure the left crank is secure when you put it back on, I didn't:cry: .

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Yep, good points Jonathan, perhaps the bugger doesn't need doing, I don't know but it would seem like one of those things that may need doing over time. Not being an expensive bike, what with the mileage it's done and the fact it's now a winter bike putting up with a lot of abuse, might make sense..? If it really doesn't need doing then fair enough but if it could do with replacement then I want to do it. Helps with the learning curve if that makes sense.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Personally, I think it's worth knowing how to service/remove/clean/replace a BB. Go for it. You tube has some good videos that show you how.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks people, actually bought a crank extractor today for a square tapered crank, like on the Defy, as a kindly assistant at Halford's said effectively don't bother with our own brand I might have a Park Tools one in the backroom. Apparently, they've stopped selling their stuff at Halfords and I got it better than half-price as they're selling them off! The chap then threw in a BB removal tool, straight from the shop toolkit, which he said he didn't have the right spanner for. First time I've had a freebie from Halfords!!

So, think I'll leave alone until it needs doing but have all the tools I need for the job for £8.45!!!

Top Bottom