Changing bike chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The 8 speed chain is slightly wider so you may experience some slight chinging noises on the rear cassette,and precise indexing can be tricky,if you've changed the chain only,it will almost certainly slip in 9th cog(smallest)under hard pedal pressure,nothing to do with 8\9 speed chain,9 speed cassettes just don't like new chains at all,best changed as a pair,90% of people that say there new chain doesnt slip in 9th gear,simply aren't producing enough power to make it slip
Hmmmmm.

Rear cassette? As opposed to front cassette?
9-Speed cassettes don't like new chains? Maybe front cassettes don't but rear ones usually handle more than one or two chains before skating with a new chain.
I don't know how much power/force you think we should produce but apart from that, if it doesn't slip (skate) then it doesn't slip (skate)? What more do you want from a cassette - rear or front?

shadow master

Hmmmmm.

Rear cassette? As opposed to front cassette?
9-Speed cassettes don't like new chains? Maybe front cassettes don't but rear ones usually handle more than one or two chains before skating with a new chain.
I don't know how much power/force you think we should produce but apart from that, if it doesn't slip (skate) then it doesn't slip (skate)? What more do you want from a cassette - rear or front?
Not in my 30 years of working on bikes every day,The complete opposite the front chainrings out last the rear cassette's, logically they would they have over 4 times the amount of teeth in some ratios is 11\52 top gear.

Not in my 30 years of working on bikes every day,The complete opposite the front chainrings out last the rear cassette's, logically they would they have over 4 times the amount of teeth in some ratios is 11\52 top gear.
No, my point was there is no such thing as a rear cassette. It is just a cassette. Since there is only one cassette on a bike, we needn't say where it is.
Front steering wheel. Gettit?
Further, why try and look for trouble by applying pressure until it skates. If the rider can't make the chain skate on the 11 or any other sprockets for that matter, then the cassette is fine.

Top Bottom