Changing bike from Road to Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
The Cube look nice, but I really fancy disk brakes as opposed to rim brakes (for a change...)

defy-one

was in my local Stows (Slough) - got looking at a Specialzed crosstrial with centre brake levers as well as the usual drop levers. aluminium fork with big disks - looked great in midnight blue - £900.
the normal brakes version was also £900 but had a carbon front fork.

which one would the judges go for all things being equal?

VamP

Banned
I've rang quite a few bike shops and they all said it was never produced

I have one. But it's a 2011. It's a good bike but quite race focused - not the kind of all rounder that it sounds like you are looking for.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm considering selling my Specialized Allez Road bike and buying a Cyclocross

I would like to upgrade to Tiagra/105, but would prefer to keep to a triple as I live in a hilly area,I hardly use the granny ring but it's comforting knowing it's there just in case :blush:

I would be looking at spending no more than £1000

Thanks for any advice :thumbsup:

I've had 3 tricrosses:

2009 sport triple - Smidsy write off
2011 sport triple - faulty fork recall and full refund
2012 Disc elite triple, tiagra 3*10

All good but the disc brakes make the current incarnation head and shoulders above the other versions. I'm just about to buy one for my wife to replace her hardrock mtb.

Note, the Tricross is not marketed as a cyclocross bike ( see specailzed Cruz for that) but as a Crossroads bike.
I've got a Van Nicolas road bike and a Whyte mtb, and while the Van Nic is the bike for a sportive style speedy and hilly ride and the Whyte is the bike for the muddy 100 mile off road tour ride I've just done, the Tricross would be fine for 90% of my riding: Road, towpath, single track, urban rambles, road tours etc etc

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Stll don't understand why you want a 'cross bike to ride on the road.

Dave,because I want to,dont stress yourself about it :rolleyes:

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Nail on the head jdtate101 :thumbsup:

Update, I've put a deposit down on a 2011 Specialized Tricross Sport

Seems to have everything I'm looking for as it has Tiagra and the granny ring,has decent reviews as a jack of all trades and comes in well under budget

A fair summary of it is here......

http://www.tredzblog.co.uk/2011/07/specialized-tricross-review.html

Spec....

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Tricross-Sport-2011_37663.htm

I'm not a road racer or a cyclocrosser looking to take on the world, so I'm happy with my choice :smile:

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Bike's being delivered Friday :bicycle:....

What do I do with the Allez :unsure:

I'm really unsure if i should keep it as its really is a great bike to ride and looks stunning, but on the other hand the reasons for the swap is because the new one should be more suibtable as an all rounder given the conditiions of the roads round here.

I also live very close to farm tracks and canal paths so a whole new world is open to me now :smile:

I've spent around £150.00 on the Allez upgrading the tyres/seat and bar tape so this bike would make a great buy

Norm

I'd keep it, for a while at least, if you have the room for it.

As I mentioned, I've a Tricross, a Secteur and a hardtail and each has a different role. There are not many times I get to the shed and don't know which one I'm going to be riding as the journey and the purpose decides which is most suitable. Each one gets plenty of use and they all have fairly similar mileages under their tyres.

You will love the Tricross as the all-rounder that you were looking for. However, there will still be times, when the sky is blue and clear, the temperature is in the low-20s and the wind is negligible, that you will be very, very glad that you've got the Allez.

Top Bottom