Changing bike from Road to Cyclocross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Just been out on it and with my shoes on the top bars ok

First impressions are superb,I am LOVING Tiagra,its so much less "clunkier" than Sora sti and the bike feels so much more capable of dealing with the poor surfaces

Some piccies....:becool:

smalltricross1photo.jpg

smalltricross2photo.jpg

smalltricross3.jpg

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
One thing you will notice, is that the brakes are less effective than the caliper type on your roadie (they have less mechanical advantage). I would recommend investing in a decent set of pads (either swissstop or Koolstop), as the stock one's generally are rubbish, and you want to be confident on your new steed.

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
First challenge was looking for the QR on the brakes to get the front wheel on

None there,had to piddle around loosening the brake cable

was that the right thing to do or is there some form of qr on this type of brake?

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
2nd challenge.....

The 1st proper ride

Went out for a quick 7 miler before the match and the 3 big differences are

Tiagra,superb,loving it

The tyres absorbing the ruts and pot holes,great

The ride itself, - I'm knackered,I guess the 32mm chunky tyres are affecting my effort/speed

I'm averaging 3mph less on the flat and its a lot tougher on the legs :blink:

One advantage, I'll get fitter quicker now

I must be a quick fit fitter :giggle:

wakou

Über Member
First challenge was looking for the QR on the brakes to get the front wheel on

None there,had to piddle around loosening the brake cable

was that the right thing to do or is there some form of qr on this type of brake?

Squeeze the brake pads against the rim by hand and the cable nipple pops out out of the canti....

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Thanks cloggsy but wouldn't that be a waste of time given I bought the Tricross due to poor road surfaces

If I put 23/25s on wouldnt I be back to the same problem?

Or can the Tricross iron out these problems even with thinner tyres on

Sorry if its a numpty question :blush:

potsy

Rambler
Thanks cloggsy but wouldn't that be a waste of time given I bought the Tricross due to poor road surfaces

If I put 23/25s on wouldnt I be back to the same problem?

Or can the Tricross iron out these problems even with thinner tyres on

Sorry if its a numpty question :blush:
Stick with the wider tyres 2wd, makes a real difference :thumbsup:

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Stick with the wider tyres 2wd, makes a real difference :thumbsup:

I'm going to persevere with the Borough CXs which are 32mm

I've been out 3 nights now and managed to get my average speed to the same as on the Allez,albeit it takes a tad more effort

I was a little worried on my first outing if I'd done the right thing, but I'm loving the Tricross now,it's real point anywhere and go bike and I'm having loads of fun :wahhey:

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I e-mailed Winstanley's and apparently the 56cm 2013 Cube Cross Race will be with suppliers mid-October '12, with the other sizes following on shortly afterwards?!

I don't think there will be any sort of volume available, so if you want one, you'd better give 'em a deposit quick!

2WD
Paul Milnes in Bradford is (or certainly was) one of the most cross-friendly shops in the north at one point, sponsoring Bradford Olympic, which had such notable riders as the Thackray brothers (Richard & Robert), Chris Young, & Jough ('Joff') Watson
My first cross-bike came from them; an ex-team 653

They custom build cross-bikes to specification & budget

It's not that far a tip over the Pennines for you, via the M62 (& M606), I'd reckon that allowing for traffic in B/ford centre, you'd be walking through the door witin 30 min of leaving M606

http://www.paulmilnescycles.com/
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Paul-Milne...874571011&_sid=71170471&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Ooh this topic has resurfaced and I dont have the Tricross any more

I sold it as it just wasn't for me and bought a Cube Peloton Pro road bike :smile:

I just need to get a pot hole early warning system fitted now!

007fair

Ooh this topic has resurfaced and I dont have the Tricross any more

I sold it as it just wasn't for me and bought a Cube Peloton Pro road bike :smile:

I just need to get a pot hole early warning system fitted now!
Interesting I was thinking of a boardman cyclocross but I would like it to be as fast as my Giant SCR 2 for events - I suppose it could be but only if I put 23, 25 tyres on it. Rather than changing the tyre I would rather get a second set of wheels but then this is expensive. Did you try the tricross with narrower tyres? Ah decisions..

Top Bottom