Changing Brake Cables - advice on the cable itself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Decided to take the plunge and attempt to change the cable myself for the back brake, it is a hybrid so is on V brakes

Since it is my first attempt I am going to go for the cheapest brake cable I can find, that way if I screw it up I don't mind throwing it away and getting the LBS to do it for me.

I have a Halfords near work so going to pick one up from there. The question is, is this cable okay, reason I ask is it says it is an inner cable? I know it is probably cheap and nasty and won't last long, but I can put a better cable on at a later date once I am confident with my fettling skills

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_186711_langId_-1_categoryId_273959

Or do I go for this one, even though I wont want all the housing that is on it?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_186747_langId_-1_categoryId_273959

When it comes to cable inners cheap is fine, and Clarks cables are perfectly fine.

I only ever buy cheap cable inners TBH, they're all much of a muchness IMO :thumbsup:

jim55

Guru
clarks stuff is gen pretty good but tbh i would use either of them ,ul need to cut the end off u dont need and if its not a clean cut itl prob fray, if u have good cutters itl b ok but its not a hard job at all

OP
OP
Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Cheers, now I just have to decide whether to try and fix it tomorrow night and risk having no back brake for two days or wait until Saturday.

Bugger it, gonna do it tomorrow night

OP
OP
Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
clarks stuff is gen pretty good but tbh i would use either of them ,ul need to cut the end off u dont need and if its not a clean cut itl prob fray, if u have good cutters itl b ok but its not a hard job at all

I have some wire cutters and a crimping tool for when I make wire traces for fishing, they should be more than good enough for the job

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They will be fine. I have used Clarkes in the past with no problems.

One tip for you.
Cut the cable to length AFTER you have threaded the cables.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
They will be fine. I have used Clarkes in the past with no problems.

One tip for you.
Cut the cable to length AFTER you have threaded the cables.
I'll keep that in mind :smile:. I plan to replace the brake cables on my commuter bike (a Vivente tourer) sometime soon.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'll keep that in mind :smile:. I plan to replace the brake cables on my commuter bike (a Vivente tourer) sometime soon.

Do you know me in real life?

It's all a learning process...:whistle:

OP
OP
Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Calling all Leicester bike mechanics.................

You are safe, did the rear brake cable no problems, subject to riding it tomorrow that is. Was as easy as pumping the tyres, bollocks, need to pump the tyres up.

Thanks far all the advice, another job I can now do by myself :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Calling all Leicester bike mechanics.................

You are safe, did the rear brake cable no problems, subject to riding it tomorrow that is. Was as easy as pumping the tyres, bollocks, need to pump the tyres up.

Thanks far all the advice, another job I can now do by myself :thumbsup:

It's amazing at sometimes the most complicated looking jobs are actually easy once you have done them once.

sidevalve

Über Member
Sorry but it's another E Bay thing. Full set of inners for under a fiver [4 cables] delivered to your door. Must be cheaper than Halfords and you get the others as spares.

Top Bottom